Topic

2014 GoLite 10L Rush vs the 14L

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2014 GoLite 10L Rush vs the 14L

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Locale: Southwest

Does anyone have either of these packs? I am looking at buying one of them and I'm not sure which one to get.

I haven't seen either of them so it's hard to gauge size and how much room will be in the pack for other items once a full 3L of water is in the bladder.

I'm looking for a day pack that is primarily a water bladder bag, but would also like to be able to fit a few other items in it when the bladder is full:

~ an ultralight down sweater (Montbell Ex Light)
    ~ tiny first aid kit
    ~ small snacks
    ~ glasses case
    ~ freshette
    ~ sunscreen

I like 14L for the fact that it still has side pockets, but it's 3 oz. heavier than the 10L, and some of the weight is non-functional, such as a padded hip-belt with wallet-style "pockets" that don't have a zip close so things could fall out. So if the 10L is large enough to fit what I want in it, I'd be tempted to buy that and sew on my own side pockets…

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I have an older 11L size Rush which I love (generously PIF'd to me by Nathan Myerson), but I would think the 10L should have room for what you have listed with a full 3L water bladder – theoretically you should still have 7L of storage inside (maybe less considering the way the space will be arranged, but still enough for those items). The outer pocket on the back could hold things like sunscreen and freshette if you wanted, and don't forget you could still hold things like a jacket or raingear in the compression shockcord if you got really cramped for space.

If 3 oz is a premium consideration, I'd say go for the 10L and sew on some side pockets if you think you need them (you might lose up to an ounce or so of the saved weight there, depending on what you used for the side pockets). You could also consider making a (detachable) shoulder strap bag or two. I made one for my Rush (to hold my camera) and it's very handy – easier to open than the hipbelt zippers, since it's a drawstring bag. I'll send or post details if you are interested.

Edit: I just loaded my Rush with 2 0.5 L bottles (to take the capacity down to 10L), a full 3L bladder, and a light down sweater. It looks like there is still room for small snacks, first aid kit, sunscreen, glasses case, and freshette. It might be tightly packed in, but I think it would all fit. If you put a few items in the outer pocket that would work even better. Hope this helps!

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Gah! I already ordered the 14L. :(

In the end, I decided the 3 oz. shouldn't be that big of a deal, and the slight extra space will probably make the pack more versatile.

The side pockets were a priority. I wanted to be able to fit in my 1L platy "bottles" without a struggle, and I wasn't convinced that sewing pockets onto the 10L would do that nicely.

I often carry water for my husband and I both on day trips because he carries a large DSLR camera bag. So having the potential to comfortably carry 5L is super nice. (Though, hopefully not necessary on a regular basis – lol).

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I don't think you'll regret the extra 3 oz. Having a more substantial hipbelt will also be nice if you're carrying 5L of water!! I was going to say that my choice would have been for the 14L, with the hipbelt, larger capacity and side pockets, but omitted that :).

It is a shame that they downsized the hipbelt pockets, they were a nice feature on the older Rush packs.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Hi. I cant speak for the 14L but I do have the 10L and really like it. I have been able to do a surprising number of things with it. I dont use bladders, but inside the pack I can fit my blizzard bag (size of VHS tape), wool hat, gloves, windshirt, sandwich and bar, plus two 24oz bike bottles. With all this in the pack, i still have room for map, compass, gels in the elastic front pocket, microspikes in the side pocket, tall can of IPA in the other side pocket, and my wool sweater tucked into the elastic bungees. Now if you were to pack this much stuff often and always needed to be in and out of the pack for things, then you might be better off with the 14L so its not so tight. Otherwise, this pack might work for you nicely.

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

In case anyone wants to get themselves one (or another size):

http://www.golite.com/promotions.aspx

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools