Topic

Quick Question about Darn Tough Socks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quick Question about Darn Tough Socks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I've read lots of good commentary on BPL about Darn Tough socks. I wear either a 9.5 or a 10 USA men's shoe (depending on fit). Darn Tough sock sizes are listed as:

M 8-9.5
    L 10-12

Question: Should I buy a sock that's a little small, or a little large?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Depends a little. Think of it as baselayers sort of. If it's warm, or you're using it to primarily move moisture, then a tighter fit is better.

If it's freezing, a little extra air space is good and warmer, so a bit larger/looser would work better and plus it doesn't constrict blood flow which when it's freezing is really not good (also better to have looser, larger shoes for colder temps).

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I usually go a little on the large side. Tight socks are bad, loose socks are not a problem.

Do you have an REI nearby? They sell them.

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

Delmar,

Make sure that the sock fits the foot, and pay less attention to the sock's fit to shoe.

No matter what shoe size you wear, I am going to assume that your feet are of a certain fixed size. I will also assume that you either know what this size is – or can find it out by using a Brannock foot measuring device.

Buy the socks per your foot size. The Darn Toughs stretch somewhat in width, but they are not overly stretchy length-wise.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

My husband says he finds they are made a bit on the smaller side, so if you're at the upper end of the range, he would recommend sizing-up.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I am a size 12 and use the L. It is a snug fit, but for me that prevents the sock from bunching up in my shoe.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

> I will also assume that you either know what this size is – or can find it out by using a Brannock foot measuring device.

About that. I did multiple measurements using a Brannock device, and L foot measures 9.5, R foot measures more like 9.25. That's a "no-hike" measurement, pre-swelling. According to the shoe salesperson, those numbers "translate" (why is translation necessary?) into a 10D.

I've happily worn a variety of Nikes sized from 9.5 to 10.5.
    I've happily worn New Balance sized from 9.5 to 10.5.
    My Merrill hiking shoes are 10, also comfortable.

I've also tried the same listed sizes in the same listed brands, and some just did not fit.

So, is Ivo's rec to buy the sock based on the Brannock measurement of 9.5/9.25?

Bob Steele
    BPL Member

@bobsteelephoto

Locale: Eastern Sierra (Aspendell)

I wear a 10 in NB shoes and L in DT socks that fit perfectly and I wouldn't want them any smaller.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

They're on the smaller side. I was between sizes and opted for a Women's Large, and that was perfect. Plus, my hiking socks have flowers on them!

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Hi Delmar,

I also wear a 9.5-10 US shoe, and like the fit of the medium Darn Toughs, esp. those with little or light cushion. Although I like shoes with room in the toes (I've sized up to 10 for Trail Gloves and Inov8 295s), I like socks that fit pretty snug. With the large size Darn Toughs (and I have at least one pair in that size), I always feel like I have to position them just right so the heels fit without extending too far back, or leaving extra material in the toes.

FWIW.

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

…"So, is Ivo's rec to buy the sock based on the Brannock measurement of 9.5/9.25?"

It is.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Thanks all for the advice.

Since the advice goes solidly in both directions, I think I'll have to go try these out in person before buying.

FWIW, I called DT and their advice was identical to Ivo's advice: Go strictly on the Brannock measurement, not shoe measurement.

I may have to Max this and get the Women's with the flowers.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

Go with the larger size. In my experience socks always tend to fit on the smaller size. I always size up and never have a problem.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Large, every time.
    Warmer, softer, and longer life.

Cheers

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

I'm the same foot size around 9.5 or a 43. I use the large and they definitely fit well.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I own one pair of the women's (perfect!) and two pairs of the Large's, Delmar. If you do go with either Medium or Large, I'd size UP and not down.

Tom Hadley
    BPL Member

@chiniak

Locale: New Hampshire

Darn Tough also makes a variety of socks to military specs that are not shown on their website, searching "darn tough military socks" will turn up a number of sources.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools