Topic

Thru-Hiker’s fabric choices… help!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Thru-Hiker’s fabric choices… help!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I'm looking at Thru-hiker.com's fabric choices for sale, and I'm confused about "silicone Impregnated
    and "Silicone Coated". There is "SpinnTex Pro .8oz Silicone Impregnated Ripstop" for sale, but I was reading Ryan Jordan's article that says

"Silicone impregnated fabrics must be distinguished from silicone-coated fabrics (commonly referred to as “silnylon”). Silicone-coated fabrics are not breathable and are used in applications where lightweight waterproofness is required, such as tarps and bivy sack floors. In contrast, silicone-impregnated fabrics include those for which their water resistance is achieved without a laminate or coating…" etc.

Are there two types of SilNylon? Is it impregnated or coated?

Also… has anyone purchased from Rockywoods Outdoor Fabrics before?

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

And what is the manufacturing difference between "1st quality" and "2nd quality"? Do I not want to go into the woods with a 2nd quality fabric bivy?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Silnylon is made for the parachute and hot air balloon markets and the standards for firsts are very high, including not having too much coating.

I have used Thru-Hiker's silnylon seconds for for a shelters for several years now. No problem. (and it does rain where I camp)

I think what Ryan is calling silicon impregnated is fabric woven from thread that is impregnated with silicon. The threads themselves won't absorb water. It makes a somewhat water resistant and somewhat breathable fabric.

Silnylon that Thru-Hiker and others sell is high quality nylon fabric that is then treated through and through with a silicon sealer of some sort. Fairly waterproof but not at all breathable.

I have not bought from Rockywoods … have never felt the need to buy from other that Thru-Hiker except in the rare case where I needed a particular color he did not have.

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

So Jim,

When you purchase your SilNylon, do you get the 1st quality or second?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Seconds …. unless I need a color that is only available in firsts (as when I wanted a blaze orange pack cover)

Joseph Jacaruso
    BPL Member

@captainjac

Locale: Southeast

I recently ordered some ripstop for Rockywoods. The order came in 2 days. No complaints!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools