Topic

Rain jacket = half bivy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Rain jacket = half bivy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Henrick
    Spectator

@hikerbox

Locale: Boston

I'm moving to tarp's and wondering if anyone has used their rain jacket as a half bivy if your legs are getting some spray. Seems like you could just zip the jacket up, place it on your pad face down and slide your legs in. I sleep on my back and don't seem to move around much so I think it would work but haven't tried it yet.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I have covered the foot end w/a DriDucks jacket before. Worked nicely that night w/an added bonus of warmer toes.

I would only try more traditional, less breathable, jackets like this in an emergency, however due to probable condensation. My feet pump out the moisture! A synthetic bag/quilt would mitigate the problems arising from such use.

J Mag

@goprogator

I don't see why not.

I have done this before in my hammock by zipping my rain jacket around the foot end since my minimalist tarp barely reaches the end. Never had a problem although it is going to obviously constrict your feet a bit.

Mike Henrick
    Spectator

@hikerbox

Locale: Boston

Thanks, good to know it's not that crazy. I guess you could always unzip the jacket halfway to add room for your feet.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yet another use for a poncho. A space blanket would work too. Some bag style space blanket bivies may be large enough to work over the foot of your sleeping bag. You don't need to pull it all the way up.

If you use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner, you could use that on the foot end of your sleeping bag, or just use your pack.

I use a bivy now, but I used to carry a 45 gallon LDPE trash can liner for emergency use. It will cover to my armpits as a half-bivy. They can be split open to be used as a ground cloth, used overhead to waterproof a makeshift brush shelter, as a windbreak, or even a solar still. Cut holes for head and arms and you have rain gear. LDPE is light, but contractors plastic trash bags have all the same uses at a bit more weight.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools