Topic

Water treatment for 15 people

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Water treatment for 15 people

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

I'm co-leading a trip to Wheeler Peak NM next week, our head count right now is hovering around 15 people. The other guide and I are trying to figure out our best choice for water purification, and we don't have time to wait for shipping so we're stuck with REI and Wal-mart's selections.

Potable Aqua's chlorine dioxide at REI is more expensive than we'd like, and iodine is . . . iodine. We've got a couple of filters in the group but we're not going to sit pumping for 45 minutes every time we need to refill our bladders.

I'm wondering whether the treatment is really necessary given that we'll be refilling so close to the sources of these different streams. Wheeler Peak is definitely high mountains so I'm imagining the chance is low for biological contamination before the water reaches us, right?

Or maybe we can compromise and dose our water with maybe half the recommended amount of Potable Aqua.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'll check back on Sunday. Thanks very much!

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.

Miox, while expensive, works well and can dose out to the size that you like. CR123 batteries are a buck a piece at Amondotech dot com. Rock salt is cheap where you can buy ice cream makers. You make the solution as you go.
    The Katadyn Vario is a filter with a high flow rate if you bypass the ceramic wafer (an optional way to use it). It is bulky and is still a pump.

Theodore Vidnovic

@vidnovic

Locale: SF Bay Area

Polar Pure is definately the way to go. It's cheap (~$15), the iodine crystals are large, and it replenishes itself. And I think that you can find it at REI.

http://www.polarequipment.com/

If you can't live with the iodine taste, use chlorine dioxide and at 1/2 strength and let it sit for twice as long.

Ted

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Katydin Micropur tablets. IMO, as a group leader they might be totally trusting your judgment, so don't use bleach or some 1/2 measure. You need to use something which kills viruses, bacteria, giardia and cryptosporidium. Explain it is expensive and charge them the 43 cents per liter.
    Just my opinion as a former and current small group leader. It can also be used at 1/2 strength for twice as long, but in warm water it works much faster than the 4 hour standard.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

For your case, IMHO, Gravity filter is the way to go. I have the Amigo H2O from ULA Equipment. There are also a couple of MYOG articles for gravity filters in these forums.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

The have the new Reliance PUR Chemical Treatment product on the home page that they love if you are treating for 15 people.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools