Topic

Deejo UL Knives

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Deejo UL Knives

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Deejo UL Knives

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Very nice descriptions and pics, Roger.

Did I overlook the prices? I like the bright plastic for visibility if I drop it. I may have to pick up one of these.

Thank you.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

They are different prices on different sites but here is Knife Works

Lou Z
    BPL Member

@lugee

Locale: Southern California

How comfortable is the handle? Looks like it may be hard to get a good grip, to the point where I may be a afraid to grip it hard on the "press" part.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

I was disappointed to see that they don't seem to offer the option to have a partially serrated blade… that's a huge sticking point for me, as I like to use knives to cut rope and separate things, and I like the partial serration for that. What a bummer…

Sebastian Ventris

@sabme

Locale: SW UK

Looks just like the Baladeo knives. I bought one some time back, too flimsy for me, sold it on eBay as a letter opener. I don't get the concept of gram counting when you sacrifice function and when most folks could more easily loose a few pounds of body weight.

Prefer a skeletonized neck knife personally. This one is very nice and can do real wood work. I was hard pressed to find something as tough for it's weight. They just need to fix the slight danger zone at the rear of the cutting edge. Mine's for sale if anyone's interested?

White River Knucklehead
    http://www.whiteriverknives.com/products/knucklehead

Knucklehead

Spyros Fykas
    Spectator

@lightgear

Locale: Europe

That's a great article, thank you.
    In my opinion Deejo Knives are perfect for weight minimalists and design enthusiasts.
    If it happens that you are one of those guys that want both, then with a Deejo, you are a happy guy.
    I have a bought a 37gr Granadilla model and I really liked the crystal clear packaging (great for gift) and the wooden feeling upon the minimalistic steel surface.
    Have a great day!

outdoors *
    BPL Member

@outdoors

Locale: Michigan

Owned a Baladeo knife which is the same in the lightest format with only one side ground.

Used for about three months.

Not very sharp with only one side ground. Could barely cut a piece of moleskin without force. Force should not be needed when using a knife. That is how someone gets hurt.

Tip of knife eventually pulls away from frame and starts to catch on things and pokes little tiny holes in things.

Lightweight yes

Functional no.

Still sticking with a single razor blade, or a plastic box cutter with break off blades.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Good point on the reliability, and good to know about the point pulling away from the frame. Other knives work great at a WHOPPING 2-3 oz :)

I know, I know, I've paid good money to eliminate twice that, just 6 oz, from my kit. But I think it makes more sense to keep the knife I carry now than to save about 3 oz on a less than reliable and sturdy item.

Come to think of it, my friend has a more sturdy version of this knife, and it opens really really easily. I love using it when we go camping. I think he got it from steepandcheap or some other closeout site:

http://www.crkt.com/KisassTanto

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Yes, they are 'extreme UL' knives, and are not meant for rough use. So I will disagree with a few comments.

> I don't get the concept of gram counting when you sacrifice function and when most
    > folks could more easily loose a few pounds of body weight.
    Two issues here. First, I disagree that any function has been 'sacrificed': they were not designed to be meat cleavers. If they do not do what you want – then buy a different knife. As to losing weight – totally separate issue :-)

> Not very sharp with only one side ground.
    Technically there is no difference between grinding one side or two. Try resharpening the blade.

> Tip of knife eventually pulls away from frame
    That suggests the knife has been misused and either the pivot bent or the blade bent. They are not meant for that sort of treatment.

> Functional no
    Well, I find them very functional. Ymmv.

Cheers

Andre Buhot
    BPL Member

@shadow-mkii

Hi Roger, the small dimple is there to help keep the knife closed. There will be a corresponding recess in the knife blade in the closed position.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Andre

> the small dimple is there to help keep the knife closed. There will be a
    > corresponding recess in the knife blade in the closed position.
    So there is! How very clever – and minimalist. Dimple and recess shown here:

Deejo Knife dimple (10)

Thank you.
    Cheers

outdoors *
    BPL Member

@outdoors

Locale: Michigan

@rcaffin Technically there is no difference between grinding one side or two. Try resharpening the blade.

Not correct. When you grind on one side also known as a chisel grind you change the handness of the knife. Meaning it now depends on which hand you cut with to determine if it is correct. So it really depends which way it is ground for the person. Since they only grind on the outside you are stuck. Which again I would say is poor in thought, and gimmicky.

Also because Japanese use this style in their knives of the chisel grind it requires very hard steel. Which these knifes, and the one I purchased do not have. Thus requiring sharpening more often. I say is this what I want to spend my time doing sharpening my knife?

Tip of knife eventually pulls away from frame
    That suggests the knife has been misused and either the pivot bent or the blade bent. They are not meant for that sort of treatment.

Really Roger that can't suggest something. Its a knife not a person. Its a weenie knife. At least it should behave a little better than since it costs 30x more than my plastic box cutter that is always sharp. I used it as I said. It was not mailed in a box and said try it out. So it does not get a red carpet ride with four sherpas standing holding a velvet pillow for it to ride upon.

It plain old does not cut well. I don't have to open my knife often. I am not a whittler sitting twiddling my thumbs. I don't carry the knife in my pocket. I don' t have pockets. Should it not be sharp for at least 6 months or a year? I don't swim in salt water, and spend days and days dragging it in sand. It sat in my bag tucked away in a bed of moleskin.

Lightness is one thing. Putting a knife in the category of what people on this site use it for you to decide.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi 'outdoors'

A chisel grind does affect the 'handedness' of the blade – no argument there, although I found it did not matter much once I got used to it. But a chisel grind does not affect how sharp the blade is.

Is a chisel grind 'poor in thought'? It suits the tiny blade and design of the knife. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

> because Japanese use this style in their knives of the chisel grind it requires very hard steel.
    Um – logic??????? I do not understand.

As to the actual hardness of the steel: the review explicitely addresses that. It's cutlery steel. There are harder steels – yes.

They are small, they are light, mine cut very well. If your knife is not satisfactory, have you tried contacting the company about it?

Cheers

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

"Owned a Baladeo knife which is the same in the lightest format with only one side ground"

Curious, am I the only dolt that tried to sharpen his Baladeo before realizing it was flat on one side?

Anyway, with a little effort, I got the other side worked down and it seems to hold an edge for at least a couple summer sausages.

Cas Berentsen
    BPL Member

@p9qx

Using the tiny baladeo ancestor with clip (24g) now for several years in a row, on frequent hiking and weekend trips.

Use it to cut bread, sausages, fruits and dried fruits and other small kitchen usage. For bread cutting the small blade is a bit short but that is a matter of adopting a cut-round-the-block cutting technique. Sausage cutting requires some force. (I don't use it to cut through can lids, as I used to do with other knives). For stirring the blade is a bit too small

Currently the blade doesn't close as tight as in the old days and it could use some sharpening. However, nothing to worry about and definitely highly recommended

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I've been curious about these knives and was glad to find the article. I like everything about the knife except for the blade steel. Without going into a lot of technical detail, 420 stainless is the steel a manufacturer uses when he just doesn't care.

420 can take a very sharp edge but that's irrelevant, it will hold that edge for a short amount of time. 420 *could* be hardened further, but then it becomes very brittle, so mfgrs leave it soft. 420 tends to roll the edge, which is why it's infamous for blunting quickly. 420 is good at two things: 1) not rusting; and 2) being stamped, which is the easy way to make a knife blank.

If you really use a knife…I mean, more than just carry it…you'll quickly learn for yourself the difference between a low-quality and a high-quality blade steel. If I could get a Deejo with a decent steel, I'd be tempted. With 420, not interested.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dude, Delmar man, when i saw the subject title in your post, i totally initially thought you were referencing the wacky tabacky man. Needless to say, i was a bit surprised when you started talking stainless steel…

Anyways, Jah bless and all that. I'm not much interested in 420 also, either one really.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

who needs wacky tabacky when you have an adorable cat?
    yeah, 420 stainless sucks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"who needs wacky tabacky when you have an adorable cat?"

YUP, part of the reason i picked that pic is because it makes me smile and melts me heart everytime i look at it. Kenya when she was a wee and cute kitten, now all grown up,… how fast they grow up….

It's a bit hard to tell, but with my finger placement holding her, and her right paw sticking out, it looks like we are signing the "I love you" American Sign language sign (i use to work at a deaf and blind school and so know some sign language). Didn't realize that while taking the pic, just worked out that way.

Ok, i think even i am way above my allotted, and quota duty thread derailment level…

Time to take another vacation from BPL perchaps..?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools