Topic

Need to choose 2 tents for different circumstances. Please lend me a hand?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need to choose 2 tents for different circumstances. Please lend me a hand?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Locale: Boulder, CO

The Duomid + serenity net is definitely one that's on my list with the ZPacks Hexamid Duplex. I do like the extra space around the feet/head that the Duplex appears to have over the Duomid though.

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

I've gone and done a LOT of research using suggestions here.. What I'm currently thinking is:

2 person, 3 season:

SMD Lunar Duo.

$310, 41 oz, PLENTY of space for 2 so that should keep the lady friend happy. Pretty set on this as it's spacious, relatively cheap and light for 2 people to carry.

The solo, 4 season ultralight tent I'm not so set on, here's a couple of options I'm thinking of below:

MLD Duomid cuben + netting (for some trips, not for others). Gives some flexibility with weight.

$410 + netting, 12.5oz + net (maybe 10oz). So about 23oz overall.

I like this because I've heard the pyramid design is great for 4 season use.

OR

ZPacks Hexamid Solplex:

$535, 16.2 oz doesn't need a net).

I like this because of the very low weight, though I am a little unsure how it would hold up to winter camping here in Oregon compared to the Duomid.

OR

Hilleburg Soulo:

I can get it second hand ATM for $500 only used once. I really dislike the weight, at 4x more than the other options, but it is bombproof.

So.. does anyone have any thoughts on the Duomid + netting vs the Solplex vs the Hilleburg with all these considerations and my needs?

Also, if I were to go the Duomid route, what are the best options for the netting? I was looking at the Oooknest which is SUPER nice but SUPER pricey.. any other options with similar space/features at a lower price? I really wish the cuben could be done in that beautiful yellow color too!

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

OookWorks nests have a loooong lead time. Based on the experience of others, you'd probably be waiting till next year if you ordered new. You might want to contact Derek Weeks – I believe he has an OookWorks Nano he's about to list on Gear Swap.

I switched from Soulo to Trailstar + event bivy for winter use, when I'm not expecting heavy snow. When I am, I use a Nammatj2 instead, but I have a pulk to haul my stuff on those longer trips, so weight is less of a concern.

Matthew H
    BPL Member

@vision-quest

Wow really? Business must be good over there. Wish Derek had the Duomid version rather than the nano, I'm 6'1 and would love the extra space!

stephen billings
    BPL Member

@stephenb

Locale: oregon

SMD makes great products and the Duo is great for 2. I usually use a mid and 2p nest when camping with my wife during non winters months.

I know in your first post you mentioned a Akto; and I wanted to let you know that I am going to be posting soon an Akto FS. Mine is this years model and it has been lightened up a bit with a couple of mods. It is not as bomber as the Soulo, but it can take some tough whether and it weighs about 2 lbs less.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools