Topic

Need to make a Powder Shaker

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need to make a Powder Shaker

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I've been carrying blister powder in a poly clamshell container (guessing 1/2 oz) commonly available at REI. Short, stubby container .5" high and 1.5" wide, with attached snap-on-off lid. Problem is, I often have to apply powder in wind, which is challenging. Open that wide lid up and the powder blows away. Wish I had more of a salt-shaker approach, where I could shake powder directly onto feet and socks. Not aware of anything on the market so figure it's a MYOG project. What I'd like:

1/2-3/4 oz capacity
    A shaker lid with small holes – pry it off to refill
    A lid lid with no holes that seals it all up.

Does this ring any bells, seen anything like this, or can you think of a way to make it?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Coghlan's and Coleman sell various salt/seasoning shakers w/ lids that cover the holes.

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

Have you ever seen those tiny salt and pepper shakers made for travel or camping? What you're describing sounds very similar.

Here's an example.

Salt and Pepper Shaker

I've seen a number of variations on this basic design in stores that sell travel accessories.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

maybe you could use the lid of a spice container and adapt it to a plastic bottle of the required size.

For example this works :
    Shaker top

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Small size is important, around .5 oz. Want to carry in a hip belt pocket. Most spice containers I see are around 2 oz.

But:

> Here's an example. Salt and Pepper Shaker.

That looks to be a good size. I didn't know it existed. Thanks.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

my suggestion was about adapting the lid of a spice container to a suitable smaller (or larger…) one.
    For example my lid happens to screw on a 2 L milk container.
    Flex shake 2
    Flex Shake
    So I cut the thread of that bottle, inserted that inside the Glad bag and screwed the spice lid on top of it .
    To finish I would have to just make a hole in that Glad bag.
    If the fit is not exact you could put a bit of glue around the outside of the felale (milk bottle ) thread and some inside the spice shaker lid.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

That's clever. I never would have thought of that. Thanks!

Kate Moody

@kitkatkate

Locale: Acadia

I keep all of my McCormick spice bottles for various uses. The turmeric mini plastic bottle might be up your alley. Different spices have different hole diameters, next time you are at the grocery store check the spice aisle and see which one might work. You could always pour the spice in to a small ziplock to use at home. (I buy a few bottles of water every year just for the bottle, I am sure many here do the same thing too. Might as well add spices to he list :) ) . Even if it wouldn't work for your foot powder, still something to keep in mind for other uses.
    I like the plastic bag approach above. I had seen something similar done, but with the top of a water bottle to make a homemade platy style thing, but for dry goods like flour or sugar.

Daniel D
    Spectator

@dandru

Locale: Down Under

Salt shaker, cut down with milk cap tightly fitted in end and then glued or taped. Pry the lid or push bottom out using screw driver through the hole in lid. Weight = 10 grams.

SaltShaker

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

That's it, Daniel. Thanks for pointing the way.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I have one pf these tiny shakers. Might cost more for shipping though. A friend gave me mine.

http://www.brambleberry.com/Plastic-Powder-Shaker-P4093.aspx

http://www.irwomen.info/bottles.html

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

That powder is dual purpose as well. Not only will you keep your feet nice n powdery, you can toss some in yer crack when the swamp a$$ invades!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools