Topic

WPB Jacket for a 13 y.o. girl?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) WPB Jacket for a 13 y.o. girl?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

In a few weeks, my 13 year old daughter is heading to France and Spain for a 10 day school trip. She needs a lightweight, packable rain jacket. She will also be hiking the Wonderland Trail with her mother and me first part of August–ideally, the same jacket will work for both, with the WT being the more demanding application.

She's 4'10-4'11 but still growing–high end eVent is prob. not an option (I'd like to stay under $100, preferably well under). Even the smallest DriDucks are huge, plus prob. won't cut it as Euro street fashion.

REI is running a spring sale right now, but I have no experience with the lower cost jackets there.

Any recommendations?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

NO WPB jacket will pass the Eurostyle test (!), but if she gets it in black, it won't look too bad. And the Precip is a great "entry-level" WPB trail jacket that will last quite a long time.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

backcountry has the Outdoor Research Helium 2 on sale for $104 with free shipping, I have one and I am 5' tall worth the price and if you do a search you might be able to find it cheaper, I think I payed around $80 at Sunny Sports a while back.OR has a really good warranty with their products if you have any problems.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'd consider an anorak-style instead of jacket style. Pullovers can be a bit bigger without looking bad, so you can buy a bit bigger and she'll be able to use it longer.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Thanks for the input. Went for the OR Helium from Backcountry.com that Link suggested. In my daughter's size and choice of color, they had the best price (plus free two day shipping).

Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools