Topic

Hells Canyon Wilderness: Quick Overnight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Hells Canyon Wilderness: Quick Overnight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

For the past few years, I've done a spring hike along the Snake River in Hells Canyon. This time (weekend before last) it was a quick overnight, starting from Upper Pittsburg Landing TH to Sheep Creek and back.

Conditions were fine–highs in the mid 60s, with sun breaks and a few light showers. Possible thunderstorms in the forecast failed to materialize. Canyon was green, with plenty of wildflowers:

SuicidePt

Sheep Cr

flower1

flower2

Flower4

Flower5

Flower6

Flower7

Flower8

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon

Hi David,

Really nice photos. Hell's Canyon can be a nice place this time of year. I was on the Oregon side this past week for a couple of nights. I camped at Buckhorn Lookout and hiked down towards Eureka Bar. My weather was quite varied with sun, rain, sleet, hail, and snow.

Thanks for taking the time to post your report,
    Rodney

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Nicely set up tarp there!
    Thanks for posting the beautiful flower pictures too.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Thanks for the TR david.

Do you have any recommendations for a good quick overnighter for a kid? I am trying to find something I can drive to with my (almost) 5 year old and keep the hiking to 2-3 miles to a campsite. Problem is the wife wants to go on this trip (our son's first) and doesn't want to travel far from Pullman/Moscow to do so. I'd like to keep the drive to ~2.5 hours if I can.

Any ideas?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Troy – up Wenaha river? Haven't done it myself but I've read good trip reports, on my list to do sometime

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Michael,

Oregon Butte is a great hike if you start from the Arrowhead parking lot. I hiked it with my (then) 9y/o last summer. Views from the lookout are stunning. I can't remember the distance but I want to say it's a total six miles there and back.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Thanks everyone for the comments. Michael, wish I had some suggestions for you–I'm also on the Palouse and prob. should do a better job at finding hikes within the driving distance you're looking for. Maybe something in the Sandpoint area, or outside Coeur d'Alene? The hike Jerry mentioned out of Troy sounds interesting.

Edit to add: Just looked at the Weneha River trail description. It may be getting a little warm in the canyon bottoms by now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools