Topic

Help me choose an insulated jacket.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help me choose an insulated jacket.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

I am having trouble choosing a jacket so far my choices are:

caccon pullover
    patagonia micropuff
    montbell thermawrap

I would use it mostly for in-camp warmth over a mountian hardwear exp wt fleece top and possibly over a MH insulated vest if it gets really cold. my layering system works really well down to about 35 degrees or so but I would really like to lighten it up a bit and be able to stay warm down to 10 degrees or so.

Scott Jones

@ultimate2

I would go with the Montbell of the three. I have read many many good reviews on this particular jacket. You should also investigate the Integral Desings Primaloft Jacket called the Dolomitti or something like that.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

With what you want, (mainly for camp), I would go for the Thermawrap Parka.
    It will help out with your warmth for sleeping as well.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Sorry I can't give a direct comparison but I have the Patagonia Micropuff hooded jacket that works very well for me. I pair it with wool baselayer (or two), appropriate for the temp. Around freezing or below, I add a down vest which is easy since the Micropuff is sized big enough to layer over the down without compressing it. Also, I always pack a windshirt which I can layer in too. I like the use of a synthetic jacket around camp, even though down is lighter and packs tighter, because I don't have to worry about getting it wet. The down vest adds the necessary insulation on really cold nights in lightweight manner as opposed to wearing a Patagonia Das Parka for example.

BPL did a comparison review of lightweight synthetic insulated jacket a couple of years ago. I tried to find it to post a link here but, with the redesign of the website, I can't seem to find anything.

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

well the cocoon is 1.8 oz / yard polarguard for like 9 oz and 160,
    the montbell is 1.8 and 1.5 in the sleeves 8 oz and 130
    and the patagonia is 2.6 for 140 and 14 oz

So whatever your lookin for is in the, but the patagonia and montbell is probably the best, but the patagonia is "heavy"

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

My men's medium patagucci is under 11oz FWIW. And i'm selling it for $80 too :)

That being said I'd vote cocoon hoody if you can live with the minimal-ness (me) or the themawrap parka if you want pockets (wife).

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Jesse, pushing your other two layers another 15'F is a big difference; I think a hood would be important.
    Personally I really prefer a full-zip to dump heat, say during brief periods of exertion while wearing insulation designed for stationary wear (putting up or breaking a tent in camp for example).
    Therefore, I recommend the MB Thermawrap parka (not jacket), for its full zip and hood.
    If you can carry the 60% higher weight, the Patagonia Micropuff hooded jacket is (estimation) twice as warm as the Thermawrap so you could probably leave the vest at home.. BUT, multiple thin layers are more useful for year-round use..

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

All are great jackets. It really depends on how warm/cold you run. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Micro Puff Jacket, but found that for me it was too warm for the mild Calfornia weather I normally face. On one exceptionally cold trip I found it keep me warm in 10F temps sitting, and I had to leave it at least partially unzipped when active until it hit something like -5F.

On most trips I carry Montbell Thermawrap Vest. I like the freedom of movement a vest provides. When just sitting around I found the combination the Thermawrap Vest, a mid-weight base layer, hiking pants, unlined windshirt, and warm hat keeps me comfortable down to 25F. Below that, my core is still in reasonable shape, but my shoulders and arms start to chill a bit. If I expect the temperature to be consistently below freezing, I also take a Montbell Thermawrap UL Jacket which I can wear stand alone or layered over the vest. I am toasty warm down to 0F with the vest and jacket. Of course I need less insulation when I am active. When the temperature is >35F I don't wear an insulation layer when active, I just wear a base layer and maybe a light shell (depending on conditions) or an integrated soft shell. In colder conditions I will typically wear the my vest and save the jacket for when my activity level drops.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

Is the tharmawrap parka much warmer than the cocoon? It has heavier insulation I dont know if that makes a difference.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

All are pretty decent investements (and has been mentioned there are other mfrs who make similar items as well, ID, Wildthings, etc)… me I'd buy the most cost-conscious one and go from there (if you can be patient you can find some pretty cool / good deals).

If you want to get really picky… once you get use to whatever you've bought… then make your own thicker / thinner one with a kit from thru-hiker.com

Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

If anyone is still listening to this, outdoor research came out with an interesting jacket, the Fraction, with hood comes in around 14 oz and $160 dollars. They didn't make their synth jackets for a year or two, but now they make them again

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools