Topic

OK umbrella peeps…let me have it!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) OK umbrella peeps…let me have it!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"I tried the Luxury Lite umbrella which is designed to attach to my pack frame; so no hands needed! The only problem was that it didn't take very much wind to force me to fold up the umbrella"
    I and I was wondering how much energy is spent holding an umbrella up in the same conditions.
    Now do Twareg use white or black umbrellas ?

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

As others have said earlier, my advice is just to buy a Chrome Dome for $25 and try it out yourself. If you don't like it, you'll be able to resell the umbrella on Gear Swap for close to the purchase cost.

I think that, if we're honest, umbrellas aren't used more in the backcountry because: 1) It's not the traditional thing to use, and 2) People don't want to part with their trekking poles.

The problem with wind is highly overstated, IMO. Yes, if it's super windy, then you have to put the umbrella away, but this usually the exception to the rule in most places people go backpacking, and even when it is windy, it's usually not windy the entire trip. Somebody is going to cry foul and say how windy their locale is, fine, but I still think it's the exception.

My experience is that it's 10 to 15 degrees fahrenheit cooler under the shade of my Chrome Dome on a hot day in full sun. That's a HUGE deal. HUGE deal. I don't know how anybody can downplay how HUGE of a deal this is.

Just go bake in the sun on a 90 degree day and see if you don't crave shade… Well, you can have it, for 8oz and the occupation of one of your hands.

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

The obvious solution is for one of the backpack manufacturers to start offering an awning as an option.

I see it's been patented.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"As others have said earlier, my advice is just to buy a Chrome Dome for $25 and try it out yourself. If you don't like it, you'll be able to resell the umbrella on Gear Swap for close to the purchase cost."

Alternatively, the material would be perfect for a DIY cosplay Fembot costume.

For Jennifer's stated issues, I can think of another reason for her to take one that might put it over the top, and that is that in the Sierra there are often places where good shade is hard to come by, even to take a nap and skip worst part of the afternoon, so in a way the umbrella might make even the most conservative strategy work better.

Take one, test it for a while, then if you aren't happy send it home at Red's or MTR.

The crazy part of that patent is all the prior art! LOL

David Halterman
    Spectator

@poedog

Locale: Big Sur

Seems like a pretty useful hands-free method here:

YouTube video

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

David, nice find. That mod might be enough to get me re-interested in them now. Seems to solve a lot of the flexibility issue of the more fixed hand-free mounts.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I was trying to Google for a text description of his hands-free method and came up with references to Nubrella…looks to be non UL but someone might be able to come up with a sun version of this that would attach to a backpack. Sorry I am not putting in a link for this, but my phone doesn't copy and paste into BPL.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Doesn't look that light, but definitely wins in the "most likely to get you wedgied" catigory – and in a division with a lot of high-powered competition!

n

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

I'm sorry … but I live by the old Fernando Lamas line :

"Looking good is much more important than feeling good".

I prefer heat stroke and skin cancer to giving someone the opportunity to photograph me carrying an umbrella.

I've never felt that hot in the high Sierra, but another option is the Mediterranean life style of simply taking a siesta in the hot afternoon and hiking a bit longer into the evening or night.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN
    Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Well, if nothing else, this thread has provided me with some good giggles! And I thank you all for that. :^)

I just received a Golite umbrella, and I'm anxious to see if it can keep me cooler in the hot Arizona sun (thereby extending my hiking season by a month or two).

In the desert, the sun is SO strong that you can feel an astonishing difference when you pass into/out of a bit of shade. Sure, 105F in the shade is not comfortable (and you'll no longer find me out in those temperatures — willingly), but it's better than 120F in the sun!

Planning to take it out for a spin tomorrow. I doubt I'd take it on the JMT (my luxury item is a chair!), but it may prove very useful in the desert for day hikes.

Edited for update: Tried the GoLite on a 1.5 hr walk. When the sun was very low on the horizon and in front of me, the shade was less than impressive, but the increased airflow around my head was nice; when the sun was behind me there was a SIGNIFICANT difference, with quality shade down to my waist causing a noticeably cooler feeling for all parts in the shade. I will try it on a day hike tomorrow, where I'll encounter more brush.

Hobbes 1

@hobbes

Well, I guess people get bored and have to do something to keep themselves entertained. I'd place the question of backpacking umbrellas in that category.

On the other hand, there are people who simply get out there and go hiking. If you fall into that category, then you're most likely looking for the most functional equipment with proven experience.

Field workers in California & Mexico had been wearing these hats for ages before Southern California lifeguards clued in and started wearing them as part of their regular outfit.

They're bigger than any other hat you can get – hard or soft brim – and the high crown vents hot air. They come with a chin strap so the wind doesn't blow them off your head. They're cheap, comfortable and also serve as rain guards.

But feel free to continue searching for alternatives when the solution is readily available.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Justin: I haven't tried the Senz umbrella but I'll look into it. The 'fixed' nature of the LuxuryLite umbrella perhaps made it more susceptible to turning inside out in wind gusts. Or maybe it's not as structurally strong as other umbrellas. But since I use hiking poles, having a dedicated attachment point for the umbrella was a big plus. Again, I came to not like the fiddle factor of this umbrella.

I did carry this umbrella for about 20 days. I really wanted it to work. But I now agree with the idea that a broad sun hat does about as well and is much easier in the field. I came to be a little disappointed in the actual shade coverage area provided by an umbrella.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Hobbes,

I starting wearing the cheap straw hats like that in the early 90s working on a ranch. I didn't win any fashion shows, but they worked. We got them off of oriental trading company and the like for about a buck a piece. I'd go through a couple a summer.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

*push, push, nudge*

HTH

KJ ;O)

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good point about the Senz design. I haven't had any issues yet, but i don't doubt that in stronger wind it could be an issue like you said, but as umbrellas go, most seem to have some kind of issue when it comes to strong wind. Gustbuster types seem good, but tend to be heavier, with increased possibility of getting more wet in heavy, wind driven rain (but i can't say for sure since i don't have any experience with them).

The Snowpeak UL looks like a great umbrella–similar to what i was envisioning for a durable, UL design. If they combined similar high quality materials with better wind resistant shape or design, might be interesting.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, no umbrella thread is truly complete with out the following..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ly-JN9OLd8

Be careful Jen, you don't want to fall in love with your umbrella and start singing songs about it too…

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools