Topic

Mont-Bell Thermawrap Parka & Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mont-Bell Thermawrap Parka & Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Daniel J Kowalski

@camperdan

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

Hello,

I just received my order from Mont-Bell, America, a Thermawrap Parka and Pants.

I weighed them on my wife's postal scale (spring powered), it's the best I've got to work with. She did calibrated it with pennies, so it's fairly close, but of course does not register 10th's of an ounce.

The parka, size large, is blue (also comes in gunmetal and persimmon), weighs just under 13 oz. in its stuff sack (slightly less than what the web site says). The pants, which are also size large weigh about 11 oz. (about the same as the web site weight). The garments have very neat, straight stitching with no loose threads, as I went over every inch of them. The shell material is light and kind of reminds me of the shell material of my Western Mountaineering SummerLite sleeping bag. The parka hood brim has a stiffener material across the top part of the hood opening which is a little over 6 inches long. It is inside and feels like a soft vinyl tube. This keeps the brim up but also allows for it to conform to the shape of your head/face. The stretch draw cords for the hood extend down from this on either side and have a simple cord lock which consists of a tab of synthetic material with two holes in it, no buttons or springs to lose/break. The zipper for the parka and pockets glide easily and do not catch on anything. When closed, you cannot tell where the zipper was. There is an elastic hem and cuff feature which gently closes off any gap. There is also a velcro hood adjuster on the back of the hood. There are no other pockets other than the two hand warmer pockets. The pocket openings are about 6 1/4 inches.

The pants are also size large and only comes in black. There is are two zippered front pockets, a zippered fly, and what they call two way, 3/4 length zippered legs. There is elastic at the waist and the cuffs with snaps on tabs. The pocket zippers open about 5 5/8 inches when unzipped, the fly zipper opens about 5 3/4 inches if you don't unsnap the waist band, and the leg zippers are about 32 inches long. The leg zippers are located on the outside of the legs and the top of the zipper can be unzipped for ventilation or accessing hiking pants cargo pockets. There are no rear pockets. The same lightweight material is used for the pants as the parka. I would not think of sitting on anything but a pad of some sort, from the looks of the material. It has a thin, slippery feel to it. I m sure that the material is tougher than it appears to be, but like any nylon, it would probably snag on course or sharp objects, so I figure care needs to be taken. Definitely not meant for bushwacking. They pack much smaller than my old 300 wt fleece hoody and 200 + wt. full side zip fleece pants. Here is a shot for size comparison of Parka, 1 qt. Nalgene, and Pants:

Parka, 1 qt. nalgene, pants

Well, it's been in the 90's lately, here in southwest Ohio, so I can't really tell you how well these articles keep me warm. In fact, I chose to try them on in the basement, where it is about 65 degrees, rather than the living room where its about 76 degrees.

I'm really happy with: the quality, the customer service guy at Mont-Bell (who went and got a parka, pants and a tape measure and help me decide on which size to order), and the delivery time (I ordered them last Thursday afternoon 8/9 and received them in short order today 8/14) . I might also add their shipping was free.

Also, the garments layer well over/under the upgraded clothing I have acquired recently, in an attempt to update and lighten up my load. They fit well and allow sufficiently for bending, stooping, stepping up, etc. without binding. I hope to also use it to compliment my sleeping system, as I frequently use my bag in the unzipped quilt mode.

I am particularly happy that it layers well beneath my PreCip rain gear! Say, have I mentioned that it always rains when I go backpacking? That is the primary reason that I went with synthetic insulation, the rain and moisture of the hardwood forest of Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia, where I hike. In the spring, fall, and winter, if its warm its rainy, if its cold its sunny.

I can't wait for the cooler/cold weather!

Dan

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Great choice, and thank you for the detailed post!
    I have the jacket(not the parka) and pants and have been very happy with them. They keep me warm while stationary at 0F with only hiking pants and a wool-1 top. It's the only insulation I'm taking up Fuji next month where I expect 0F plus significant wind chill.
    Please consider copying your excellent post to the 'Reviews Forum' (just copy/paste the text), and updating it occasionally through the year with your long term results. Judging by this post I hope you report in on lots of gear choices.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

Montbell makes some very nice light-weight insulated clothing. I love my Thermawrap jacket and have considered the pants and even the parka as well.

I weighed my XL Thermawrap the other night, and it was 11oz. (note: I just bought a digital scale from Target, so, I've been weighing a lot of my gear lately)

I bought a Patagonia Das parka, for "cold" winter trips, but I'm debating selling it, as I'm not sure as to how much winter camping, I'll be doing in the future?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I too have the Thermawrap jacket and love it. With a tee shirt underneath, the Thermawrap keeps me comfy to 40F when stationary — maybe 35F with a shell added on top. I can't imagine it keeping me warm at anywhere near 0F! Of course, I should mention that I live in southern Cal where "freezing" is anything under 45F. :)

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Ben, We see a lot of variance on metabolism from members here; I would be comfortably cool with my Thermawrap if I wear my rain pants to reduce heat loss from my lower body. One member here carries running shorts and wind pants as his three-season insulation!.. I'm no where near that warmblooded, but I tend to be hot when others are comfortable. Maybe two winters on the DMZ and the resulting cold weather injuries helped.
    But the Northern-central US probably has the worst weather, and those guys know how to survive at -20.. no freakin way I'm going out intentionally at those kind of temps.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yeah, I wish I could just carry a wind shirt and pants and call them "insulation". I also wish I could tarp without fear of rodents, insects, and creepie crawlies. Alas, no, just can't do it. :(

Daniel J Kowalski

@camperdan

Hello,

Thanks for the comeback, guys. Brett, I took your suggestion and posted to the "Members gear review". I also added a few more observations, but not the picture. Now all I need is for the weather to cool off about another 70 to 90 degrees, so I can see how well the parka and pants work.

Dan

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

What is the insulation of Thermawrap clothing?
    (Hopefully not Primaloft.)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The insulation is MontBell's own product called "Exceloft". MontBell's website has the technical detail.

Daniel J Kowalski

@camperdan

Hello!

Well, to quote what mont-bell says about the "Exceloft" insulation:

"Exceloft insulation uses 8-denier polyester threads as a structure to intertwine with extra thin 0.7-denier threads that add more air pockets and resilience. As a result, Exceloft products rival the warmth and weight of down products. Exceloft excels in wet conditions: because the fibers used in Exceloft retain less than 1% of their weight in water, Exceloft will keep you warm even when wet." Source: mont-bell web site.

It is what is called a dual density insulation. There is another brand that uses a similar technology, but it escapes my memory. I think I read about it at this web site, in an article in the "Magazine" section.

I'm just sorry to say that it is still too darn hot to try it out.

The loft is only about 3/8 inch or so. There is 50 gr./m. Exceloft material in the parka sleeves and pants, and 80 gr./m. material in the torso & maybe hood of the parka. I think than most of the warmth it provides is the amount of wind that it can block. At this point, however, it is only speculation on my part. My next trip might not be until October or November. I could possibly see some sub 30* weather, by then. Like I had mentioned, I'll provide an updated report as soon as I can get the gear out in the field/woods.

Dan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools