Topic

News of Jeff Lowe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism News of Jeff Lowe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

This piece was printed in the Boulder (CO) Daily Camera Sunday newspaper. Jeff Lowe has been rather an icon locally, and I expect that many of you that climb, or have carried a Lowe Alpine pack, know of him and his exploits over the years.

http://www.dailycamera.com/sports/ci_25739108/legendary-mountain-climber-jeff-lowe-slowly-dying-als

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Sad to hear, … remember some news of his climbs way back. The symptoms of uncoordinated hand movement were exhibited by a backpacking acquaintance of mine several years back who more quickly succumbed to ALS a little over a year ago. Best to know the signs as one gets older.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Thanks so much for sharing that.

As the "grandfather" of internal frame backpacks (so to speak), I certainly believe I owe him a debt of gratitude.

As sad as it seems, I'm glad to know he is embracing his last adventure in a Good Way.

To this day, I still whip out my 105L Lowe pack when I am required to carry pretty much every piece of gear I have.

Or for the backpacking trips w/ the wife & 3 kiddies.

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

Sad to hear … but, in relation to internal frame packs, as I understand it, it was his brother Greg Lowe who founded Lowe Alpine.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Oh yes you are correct. I often get "the brothers" confused.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Lowe Alpine history, from the web site:

http://www.lowealpine.com/our-story

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools