Topic

looking for a new hiking boot/shoe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) looking for a new hiking boot/shoe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Hey All

So I am starting to do some research on getting a new pair of hiking boots/ shoes and would love to get some input from ya'll. I have always used the full size hikeing boot with water proofing. I am considering if I should stick with the traditional boot style, or go for something smaller and lighter.

A few things to consider..

– Most of my hiking occurs in the high sierras with more than half being off trail.

– I moved to AZ recently so am also starting to hike in the high desert and mountain terain of the area. Some of that includes slot canyons with the possibility of getting my feed repeatedly wet. I would like something with good support.

– I have always used the traditional full sized hiking boot.

– I have always had a problem with blisters, typically on the tips of my toes. For the most part this was recently solved with Injinji toed socks, but still occasionaly get blisters.

– I have wide feet.

I am currious what you would all reccomend for me? I know many like the use of trail runners, but not sure if those would be a good choice for the more rough, off trail terrian.

SO….what do ya'll think?

TKB 1979

@arizona1979

Locale: DESERT SOUTHWEST

For boots, the Vasque Breeze have done me well in Az & they come in wide & waterproof versions.

As far as, "I know many like the use of trail runners, but not sure if those would be a good choice for the more rough, off trail terrian."

Every one of my buddies in Az prefer trail runners to boots and have been in many more difficult areas than I have been.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

I'm becoming a bit of a broken record in threads like these, but my advice is always the same.

Next time you go out on a short backpacking trip, simply wear the comfortable pair of running shoes you undoubtedly already own instead of wearing your traditional boots.

You get to spend $0, and in the process, learn what it's like to backpack with lighter, more breathable shoes.

I find the only way to that anyone makes the switch from traditional, heavy boots, to lightweight running shoes is to just try it out. Seeing is believing. Try it out in a low stakes situation and you will get to see what it's like first hand.

There is very little that is special about "trail runners" versus your run-of-the-mill running shoes. Just wear whatever is comfortable and let the rest of us BPL junkies with no time to go out ourselves debate endlessly about merits of one trail runner versus another. :)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If you do off trail stuff in the sierras on all those boulder fields, switching to running shoes could be tough on your feet. Take it slow and don't push yourself. You can do anything once you have conditioned yourself. Find running shoes with plenty of cushioning.

Richard Mock
    BPL Member

@moxtr

Locale: The piney woods

I always found running shoes too soft, I have "walking' shoes' (new Balance) with lasts like running shoes that are much firmer and work well on trails.

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

So is there anything out there that is a cross between a traditional boot and trail runners?

I actually dont have running shoes….not much of a runner. I have knee problems and the reptitive pounding on my knee joints hurts too much to run. SO i dont have any experince in running shoes.

Michael Gartman
    BPL Member

@namtrag

Locale: Flatlands of Virginia

This looks like it might be a cross between boots and trail runners.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/merrell-proterra-mid-sport-hiking-boots-for-men~p~7293p/?filterString=mens-hiking-boots~d~360%2F&colorFamily=01

I have no experience with these type of hybrids, but they do exist, apparently!

Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra CS WP Trail-Running Shoe… Has been my choice for the last ten years or so, on my 4th pair… I use these for most everything daily, I work outside… But on that note I use a mid ankle shoe when hiking above tree line on longer trips… Then Salomon makes shoes for me and everyone else also buys them, what I mean you need to find a shoe manufacturer that makes shoes for your foots last &/or shape… I also have stopped wearing cushioned socks I have been using just one pair of the thinnest wool socks I can find… No blisters, no hot spots, my foots pads are not sore after a long day, once again a happy hiker foot wise…

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Hey, Dan,
    I have had great luck with Trekstas. My feel are very wide and they work perfectly for me. They are light, have decent traction and there are several models. Not sure how the Treksta leather boot would hold up un your desert areas, but here in Oregon, on lava fields, they have worked just fine. YMMV. Hope this helps.

Matt

http://www.trekstausa.com/

Treksta Nesfit system:

http://www.trekstausa.com/technology/nestfit

a

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools