Topic

Quick overnighter on the Cumberland Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Quick overnighter on the Cumberland Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Custer

@nastynate

Locale: Tennessee

Had time for a quick trip with my almost 5 y.o. boy. The Cumberland Trail has 4 trailhead within 20 minutes if my house so it's my go to hike. I packed on Thursday so we could leave when I got home from work.
    Packs
    Walked slow and explored the wildlife and scenery through the eyes of a kid.
    Waterfall

We found a flat spot right along the trail about 30 minutes before dark and set up camp. It was about 100' from a waterfall so that was wonderful noise to fall asleep with.
    Camp

After a quick breakfast we broke camp and made our way back to the car. Spent lots of time just seeing stuff that little boys like to play with.BridgeMillipedeNewtFrog
    The rhododendron were starting to bloomRhododendron
    And there is always an after hike treat.
    Skittles

Nathan Custer

@nastynate

We found 3 of these eastern newts. They were cool.Newt1Newt2

Nathan Custer

@nastynate

Here is our pike of gear. I don't weigh anything *gasp*! But it's pretty light. Myog quilts, solong tent, xlite and solite pads, 550ml esbit cook kit. Triple my normal first aid kit, and a stuffed animal round it out.Gear

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Looks like summer is here. We are planning on taking our friends 5 yr old out on his first trip this summer (we don't have our own kids, we just rent haha). Should be a good time. I'll have to pick a trail with some good amphibians…

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

My favorite kind of trip report!!! Keep taking him Nathan!

Good for both of you.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

Sweet lil trip. Through the eyes of the kid always looks best. You probably wouldn't of discovered half of them lil critters on your own.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools