Topic

Lightest $50 Poncho (that covers pack)?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightest $50 Poncho (that covers pack)?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Who makes a lightweight SylNylon poncho that can cover the pack? Are there any SilNylon ponchos that use lighter weight materials than 1.4 oz/sq yd nylon–which seems to be the norm.

I'm guessing you can't beat the Zpacks cuben poncho at 5 oz., but I'd prefer to spend $50 not $150.

What would you recommend?

(PS: Not looking for a poncho/shelter at this time, just poncho.)

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

I believe Golite uses 15D fabric for theirs. Not sure what the oz/sq yd is, but it should be less than 1.4.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

At 7 oz and $60, it's a contender.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

I have a cheapo plastic poncho that I got for like 5 bucks. It's a bit on the heavy side at around 300g IIRC, but it's thicker, tougher plastic plus it's big and covered my pack. Might want to check out a hardware store or sporting goods store.

I also have a cheapo Dri-Ducks knock-off poncho I got at a sporting goods store for about 10 bucks. It only weighs around 180g I think, but it's not that big and the hood is pretty crappy.

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

I'll second the Golite poncho. I used to use a cuben zpacks poncho and find the golite much nicer to use in poncho mode, likely due to the materials. Wasn't a fan of the crinklyness and stiffness of cuben in this application. The Golite is cheap, light, has the features you need in a poncho, and I find it fine for shelter use as well, despite that not being a necessity for you. Nice to have options at least!

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Anyone have experience with the Integral Designs SilNylon Poncho?

http://www.moontrail.com/integral-designs-silponcho.php

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The ID poncho is 30% heavier and 25% more than the Golite. The ID is 5'x8', and the Golite is 8'8"x4'10".

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Oh my! No contest then. Looks like the GoLite wins by process of elimination.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools