Topic

Your ZPacks Arc Blast Customizations – (or other UL/MYOG packs)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Your ZPacks Arc Blast Customizations – (or other UL/MYOG packs)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

"Do you know how your mod differs from the zpacks trekking pole holders here? ->"

Just saw that now. They didn't offer than back when I got mine made last year. Main difference is IMO the loop at the bottom should be further back, and be easy to put both poles through. This also looks more like something you can do yourself (ok sew is the webbing) since there is nothing sewn on extra. The lower attachment looks like it is to a single point, more or less the front point of the one I am suggesting.

If it works for you, then it works. I like the angle to be greater to get them more under the arm and back out of the way.

"And it looks like all you did was tie the shock cord (bottom loop) to the daisy chain on the hipbelt and to the included "base straps" on the zpack? Nice….and yeah, it does look exactly like the exos trekking pole holders. "

NO. The whole point here is that there was an additional web loop sewn by them, at my request, on the side of the pack. It isn't really exactly where I asked (or on the side I asked) so it isn't perfect. The mod I did on my Kalais is perfect. Still the main difference is the lower one is like the Exos one, NOT a loop but a point to point straight flat against the side bungee (about 5 inch long), with a piece of tubing for added stiffness. It not a closeable loop (like the top bungee (and the lower one apparently on the Zpacks option), but a fixed section. Makes it quick and easy to tuck the lower part of the poles in – both poles, one side. Also further back which for me is the crucial minor detail here. When correct the pole are more like at 45 degrees, full under you arms, with the business ends pointing backwards

Minor details maybe, but the thing that makes the mod not just the same old thin which I rejected 10 years back in the ULA pack.

@rick
    , no, I never myself found them the tiniest bit finicky, and I have them on all my packs now. In fact was using them this afternoon. Are you %100 sure you where using them correctly?

Only time the are a bit awkward is if you take off the pack with them in the loops. Since I use my poles, both as trekking poles and as shelter supports the first thing I do before taking off the pack is usually to collapse the poles and sent them down. I don't need to travel long term with them on the back of the pack or any where else, unless I am on a bus or something, in which case whole different issue

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

All you need is something that works for you. The back trick actually might work extra well with the arcblast mesh from the comfort standpoint. I use my attachments mostly for scrambling, so it has to be functional and not catch on anything, with zero chance of popping out.

People probably should just try things out on this stuff without having any special mods made. If they want an additional attachment point they can easily sew it themselves. Make yourself a sewing awl and have at it. At least that is my attitude now. That way you can both get what you want and get it done perfectly.

Trace Richardson
    BPL Member

@tracedef

I had a small loop added below the buckle attachment above the back mesh pocked so I can put a biner in there to hang shoes or other things … Also had the string side compression straps and base straps replaced to use the ribbon / webbing they used to use on previous models …. so much easier to use … not a fan of a dyneema cord for compression straps at all ….

I'm going through a lot of different packs for experimentation sake, but when using the arc, I will also replace the ice axe loops with something more substantial ….. when scrambling / bouldering on my last trip, they wouldn't keep my trekking poles in place at all …. had to rig a knot of sorts to keep them in place … was going down a ladder on a wall next to a waterfall in Havasupai that was wet and muddy 80 feet or so in the air and a pole came undone ….. I was scrambling to not only catch my pole so it would not hit someone belwo, but that meant I only had one arm to hold on with… then a pole came fell into the stream as I jumped while crossing the river over rocks… had to run downstream to get it … super sketchy, so those are first thing on my to fix list ….

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

Check out this video from Red Beard of his AT gear list:

http://youtu.be/C02vVUGjS5s

Pretty sweet gear list too, not to mention the beard as well.

Anyhow, check out his Arc Blast at around the 1:05 mark. Note the holes in the mess, especially near the bottom. Supports my idea about wear and tear, especially from mesh at the bottom of the pack that gets more contact with the ground and such.

Just sayin'.

Andrew Williams
    Spectator

@spf3million

Locale: Midwest

Could any of you comment on the ability to pack a Bearikade Expedition in the arcblast? I know on the zpacks site it says it will fit vertically, but I saw on an older thread that it was a tight fit closing the roll top. I may ask for an extra few inches on the top of the bag to get an extra roll or two in. Either that or go with a 60L to get an extra inch of front-to-back width.

I remember reading that it'll likely sit/rest on the lower stay.. would that cause it to bulge into the user's back? If so, would there be enough room to wrap a 1/8 ccf pad around the bear can before packing it?

If anyone has photos I'd be greatly appreciative.

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Here is another question for the community…how are you long term storing your arc blast? With the mesh/stay system relaxed or kept tight?

James Volk
    BPL Member

@h2oboy007

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've placed my order… but I am still having a hard time deciding on what would be the appropriate Torso measurement. I'm 5'11.5" and have a 32" inseam. My Osprey Atmos 65 was a size LG and it fit great.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

James,

Unfortunately neither your height or you inseam will help at all.

One good and very reliable method is this – on the Atmos you say fits measure the exact distance from the bottom of the hip belt (I think this is where zpacks gives their measurements from, when asked), to the place where the straps connect to the pack at the top. Do it a couple of times to make sure. That will be X inches. Then choose the torso size on the arcblast that has the closest measurement (bottom of belt to strap attachment) to X, but be sure you ask Zpacks to give you those exact measurements (bottom of belt to strap attachment) for the sizes, and not the "recommended torso length". For Zpacks this might be the same thing, but best to double check. They are very good about this, and also precise.

Two things. (1) Be sure you are happy with the fit you have on the Atmos (isn't that one adjustable?) – specifically how much the straps bend over your shoulders when worn loaded. You probably want this to be more or less straight back for the arc-blast, a pack intended to carry light loads. This is Joe's recommendation as well. Still, you like what you like. Be sure, because the Atmos fit is what you WILL get using this method – or at least a close as is possible with the arcblast size selections. (2) If your measurement is in the middle of two sizes then without question GO FOR THE LONGER torso length (larger size of the two) on the arcblast.

Hope this helps.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Have you seen on the Zpacks website how they advise to measure? They say to hold a yardstick and stand in front of a mirror, measure from the bottom of the hip belt to the height that you want your shoulder straps attached to the pack. This is based on the 4" wide hip belt that the Arc Blast comes with, so if your current pack has a different width for the hip belt you need to adjust accordingly (for example, if your current hip belt is 3" then a 4" belt would be 1/2" more on the bottom and 1/2" more on the top, so for your Arc Blast measure from 1/2" below the bottom of your current 3" hip belt). Then note the height at which you want the shoulder straps attached to the pack. It isn't the "traditional" way to measure torso, but since Zpacks is making the pack and this is how they advise to measure this is what I did when I ordered mine.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

FYI, just noticed that Joe has re-designed the hip belt pockets for the Arc Blast. Now has zipper instead of flap and buckle, and the design looks streamlined.

Chris Sharman
    BPL Member

@sharmanc

I just tried to order theĀ pocket system with out mesh on an arc blast only to be informed by zpacks that theyĀ no longer make any custom orders Ā :-(

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Whoa…you serious? Zpacks no longer takes any custom orders?

While I’m sure taking and making custom orders was a nightmare for them….it sure was nice for the end customer. As zpacks grows, I’m sure it became necessary to focus on their core products.

Chris Sharman
    BPL Member

@sharmanc

thisĀ snip-itĀ from the email from zpacks

We are not doing any custom work anymore.Ā  It led to too many mistakes and was really slowing down production.

I guess they are no longer a cottage manufacturer, to successful. I will probably cancel my order, as I already have an arc blast with a mesh back that I was looking to upgrade. Ā sadness

K. C.
    BPL Member

@kat

I just found out the hard way about the “no customizations” anymore myself this week :( – got all excited about ordering an Arc Blast, but I wanted it with the webbing side compression straps option like I have on my old Zero instead of the shockcord, also the Zero drawstring top option instead of the velcro/buckle closure.Ā  Got told No for same reason above – altho I’ve ordered custom pack, modified cuben rain pants and modified cuben jacket from them in the past, all with no problems – everything was perfect.Ā  Also it was a bit hard for me to understand why they can still offer these as options on the Zero but not the Blast – apparently it is the # of mistakes issue again.

I can live without the drawstring top, but not having a side compression strap over the pocket (like the Granite Gear Virga) is a real problem for me, don’t need stuff falling out of the side pockets when negotiating blowdown on and offtrail (hey, we had a really tough winter here in WA there’s tons of it out there)Ā  I’m thinking maybe I can cut a hole in the center of each pocket to access the elastic, and splice/tie on a couple of pieces of shock cord with a cordlock so I can really cinch those pockets down.

Still thinking about whether to order or not.Ā  I’m happy Zpacks is so successful.Ā  I guess they can afford now to lose a few custom orders that were obviously more trouble than they were worth – as maddening as it may be to me right now :)

Randy T
    BPL Member

@ochocowalker

Locale: Wet side of the Cascades

I just had the same experience with the “no customizations” and have to say I was really disappointed.

I like the carriage of it, the frame and everything, very much, but they would not do any of the mods to the pockets or mesh I wanted. Basically I wanted something outside just like the GG Mariposa pocket system. But no go at all.

So I have a pack that fits and carries great but with lousy pockets that don’t really work for me at all.

The front mesh is just pitiful: too low volume, too tight, too high, and too wholly so it fills up with duft, needles and dirt all the time. It’s an embarrassingly poor design.

I have it and I’ll use it, because due to an injury I need something very adjustable in the back, hips, and shoulders, which it is, but I won’t be being getting another pack from them again, that’s for sure.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Maybe if they get enough complaints they’ll consider making the most asked-for custom modifications as standard options. I’ve always been happy with the standard options up until now, but I can understand the frustrations of those who chose to buy and remain with Zpacks because of the ability to customize.. too bad!

So now maybeĀ Zimmer and HMG will be seeing an uptick. :^)

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

My Zimmerbuilt pack is currently in the mail so I’m very excited. I can’t believe how awesome the experience was. While I much prefer to do things over the phone, he was very patient and attentive via email as we exchanged A LOT of them. Can’t say if I like the pack or not since I don’t have it yet, but the service and experience working with Chris was top notch. I hope this pushes more business his way although I’m sure he’s not hurting for it. More is always better though when you’re growing a business!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

2 of the 3 customizations I requested are now standard options…”Roll-Top Closure Straps” and “Dual Top Straps”. The 3rd option was havingĀ them divideĀ the “W” side compression cordage creating 2 separately adjustable “V” cords per side. After much use I’m not entirely certain this isĀ as valuable as I had imagined, but I’m still happy I got it.

I was always surprised at how open ZPacks had been to doing customizations…must be a gargantuan pain in the a**. I’ll miss the opportunity to “make it mine”, but doubt this will dissuadeĀ me from ordering in the future. Honestly, most of the mods I have done to my Arc Haul and Duplex were easy, VERY personal, and went through several iterations as I discovered what worked and that I actually wanted. Ā Plus I really enjoyed making them.

Randy T
    BPL Member

@ochocowalker

Locale: Wet side of the Cascades

@bob

Yes, if I had it to do all over again, I would go right up to a McHale or Zimmer without hesitation. But I have it and waited for it; it carries well; and I’m leaving for a three month hike in a few weeks, so I’ll work around its deficiencies for now & see how it fares for durability.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

I hope you have a good experience with it. If you’re happy with the way it carries, you’re 99.44% of the way to backpacking Nirvana anyway, lol. :^)

On my first Zpack (Arc blast) I’ve gotten a couple of snag-holes in the mesh panel and a couple of dings on the water bottle pockets, all repaired easily with a little needle-n-thread or cuben repair tape. The pack has been exposed to rain here and there and a couple of deluges last year with no leaks, thankfully, because I was using a down quilt that was simply stuffed in the bottom of the pack with no dry sack, nor any sack, for that matter.

Joe j
    BPL Member

@grapenut2

Fixed a load lifter design flaw by moving the upper attachments as shown in the pics above.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

the ‘no custom’ work is old news…

this has been coming on now for about a year…

last year about this time when I ordered my Arc Haul Joe refused to do a small, easy custom thing… said he was too busy…

then last fall they REALLY resisted doing a repair… I had to press pretty hard to get it done…

I’ve also notice they seem to be making more errors in the workmanship.

Growing Pains, I guess.

billy

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

You know its funny, found this thread a few years ago when asking around about which modifications might be awesome for my arc blast… ended up ordering an arc blast in camo with a tall pocket mod on one side, a larger waist belt, and the most important change – the rear outer pocket made out of the same cuben material as the pack instead of the mesh. (It has drainage holes.)

Well I just emailed them back about ordering a larger pack with Ā just the rear pocket mod, and was more than extremely surprised to hear that they wouldn’t do custom packs ever again.

I came right back to this thread… to find that some of you guys have also had similar experiences.

Anyone else feeling really pissed off and unhappy about this?

I don’t want to be “that guy” who is bitching about stuff, but frankly I’ve been a really huge supporter, recommended them to many people who have ended up buying stuff from them, and always spoken really highly of them online and offline.

But to me, part of what made me so happy with the company was their willingness to allow the modifications… they are a huge asset to me.

In the northeast, that mesh is done in barely two seasons of thick forested backcountry hiking use. Additionally, when its wet out, and things are drippy, you don’t necessarily want all the stuff in that mesh pocket coming into contact with the water on the leaves and branches, bushes and tall grasses. This could be condensation, or a rainy day situation.

Anyway, I’m just going to say it. I am pretty angry that they don’t want to help with minor modifications like this, and I’m feeling like I might want to check out one of the other brands that I’ve been ignoring because I’ve been “blindly” backing zpacks so far. For the amount of money that it costs to buy one of their packs, and the fact that they build each one to order, I find it stupid and inexcusable that they won’t address simple custom requests like this, especially if its something they’ve done for a customer previously with a smile.

Anyone else thinking like this or am I the only one who seems to care?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

ObviouslyĀ they’re willing to give up the 0.5% for the 99.5%.

I’m just speculating that perhaps this is a well-considered moveĀ that permits them toĀ build inventory and better utilize their workers by keeping them busy in the slower months.

Maybe in the future, those of us who are okay with the standard options might be able to order stuff that’s already in stock. And maybe at some point they’ll have a separate “Custom Unit’ that will let you “roll your own” for an upcharge.

Could be that they lost more customers to the 6- to 10-week wait (mine was 10!) than they think they’ll lose due to the no-custom policy.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools