Topic

Tarptent Moment DW 2P

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Moment DW 2P

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Jim Klazek
    Spectator

@klazek

Pictures up on TT website. Avail for summer 14

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

That thing looks absolutely palatial. Good stuff.

2P Moment DW

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Sweet!

Michael Gartman
    BPL Member

@namtrag

Locale: Flatlands of Virginia

I am glad this had not yet been publicized when we bought our Stratospire 2. It took us weeks of agonizing to decide between it and the Lunar Duo. Adding another choice would have been even more agonizing!

Andrew Martin
    BPL Member

@am1982

Locale: PacNW

Nice! 52oz with stakes and support struts, 48oz when trekking pole supported. Edit: Pretty competitive with a lot of the 2-door, DW, freestanding tents that are fully storm worthy. About on par with a Hubba Hubba NX for weight and heavier than a BA Copper spur UL2 but I'm sure far stronger and with more headroom. Certainly much more storm and wind worthy than an REI Dash 2.

It looks like it doesn't have the crossing pole options like the Moment DW for snow loading which is a bit sad. I'm sure this tent is much more weather stable that most of the competition.

Also, anyone have experience setting up a Moment DW with just the inner bug netting? I found that on the TT Notch it requires extra lines and is more complicated than I had hoped. For a 2-person DW shelter, I'd really like to pitch it without the rain fly off but know that should a storm come in at night I could put it up very quickly like with more traditional DW tents.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

Andrew it looks like it has the necessary attachment points for the optional crossing pole from the photographs.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I wonder about wind stability with those larger panels. Probably comparable to other DW shelters on the market in the same weight category? I know the 1P is pretty good on wind stability, but those large end panels make me wonder about this one. Any preliminary field testing done on this yet?

. Kirby
    Spectator

@kirby805

Yeah. I may be in the minority here, but I think it looks awkward and imbalanced. Even if just aesthetically.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Yeah, kind of like a Porsche SUV; it's cool, but not sexy like a Carrera (Moment 1P).

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Double Moment will take an X pole like the Moment does.
    Here is another view , might give a better idea of its shape :
    Double Moment side on
    This is the Momend DW inner only :
    Moment DW inner

Tarptents are designed to be set up keeping the inside dry, so fly first or fly and inner together.
    They are not made to have the inner up and then add a "rainfly"
    Neither version works best for everybody .

Nathan Wernette
    Spectator

@werne1nm

Locale: Michigan

agreed, I just bought the strat2 and its final! though this thing looks awesome too!

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I am probably the only one that is disappointed. I wanted something just like the moment but just a bit wider to fit 2 20" pads. This is much bigger and much heavier. It will likely fit for more people's needs than what I wanted would have… I always seem to want something different than "everyone" else. ;^)

Oh well, TarpTent has plenty of other options. :^)

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

> I wanted something just like the moment but just a bit wider to fit 2 20" pads.

That's exactly what it is. The ends are/had to be 2x wider (20"–>40"), the middle is 23% wider (42" –>52"), and the arch pole geometry scaled up 20% (120" –> 144"). Until you get your head into the geometry, especially arch pole scaled geometry, you might not understand what it means to scale up the Moment DW to fit two but I can tell you that there just isn't any other scaling method that works to provide room for two full pads and vestibules on both sides.

-H

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

"Until you get your head into the geometry…"

Well, that is part of the problem; I've never designed a tent in my life. ;^) It seemed to me that the width at the middle and the height of the ends could have stayed the same with only the width at the ends changing, and of course the shape of the end triangles. But, I have NO IDEA what that would do the the geometry of the tent. I just need a good CAD program (or whatever people use these days) to see it. But I certainly trust that you know what you are talking about. You have plenty of initiative tents to prove it. :^)

Edited: BTW, the second vestibule is something I would sacrifice for a significant weight savings (assuming it changed the geometry enough to make a significant savings). An example of how I don't fit the norm.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Here is a simple way to approximate what Henry was explaining.
    Start with the DM floor plan :
    DM floorpaln
    print that out and cut out the space 2x std mats take (the grey rectangular shape inside the floor on athe bove drawing is a 20×70 mat).
    overlay that double mat onto the drawing and now add some lines from the pole ends to the rear end .
    DM 2 mats

Make sure you leave some space outside the mat area for the sloping walls and then some space between the inner and the fly.
    This will not give you an accurate 3d view but should make the wider ends bit more obvious.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

> It seemed to me that the width at the middle and the height of the ends could have stayed the same with only the width at the ends changing, and of course the shape of the end triangles.

Could it be done, yes. Should it be done, definitely not. It would be a hideous disaster of a tent. The wall angles at head level would get ridiculously shallow, the fabric would press down on your face, and it would be virtually impossible to sit up from a prone position.

> BTW, the second vestibule is something I would sacrifice for a significant weight savings (assuming it changed the geometry enough to make a significant savings).

It wouldn't.

-H

Jim Klazek
    Spectator

@klazek

Is it possible for Henry or Franco to put up a picture with the x-pole attached? Thanks.
    I currently have a Scarp 1P with the updated fly, but due to a health issue cannot do winter trips anymore so the tent is a bit 'overkill' and I'm thinking of selling it.. I like the dimensions/weight of this one and the x-pole would give the stability I prefer in high wind/rain. The interior dimensions would also allow me to use it with my wife on occasion. I had thought of getting one of the 'Stratos' but I prefer the esthetics of this one.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

> Is it possible for Henry or Franco to put up a picture with the x-pole attached?

Will do. That's a weekend task.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

when constrcting something 3D like a tent, each panel will have 3 to perhaps 6 edges. each edge will have a length, and worse, most lengths will have a curve. any change of either results in changes to the angls of intrsection with the other panels.
    now.. every angle, and length, and curve, hides demons that will not be apparent until you build it and they appear. eventually you may learn enough to see most of them early on, but they just get better at hiding.
    with "luck", and then a very large pile of prototypes, you occasionally find that you have worked yourself right around in a huge circle, are back near the beginning.
    fabricators who have done this are considered "experienced".

along the way, everyody that formely liked you in the now distant past, will in no way, even under penalty of death, ask you about your "new design".
    that's ok, they don't "get it", and even if they did, they univrsally lack the tenacity to proceed oorretly in making that last half a dozen beta units for the purpose of refinement. this is because during project developement, your friends turn into wussys. they were probably weakminded to start with, and a decent project simply brings in out in them.

cheers,
    v.

Jim Klazek
    Spectator

@klazek

Thank you Henry, sorry to be a 'PIA'.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

I think Henry had this in the works for at least 4 years, so I'm sure it's well thought out.

Personally I don't find it nearly as aesthetically pleasing as the Moment 1P or the Scarp 2P, but it's a victim of geometry. If I owned one, perhaps I would name it "Big Bertha".

> BTW, the second vestibule is something I would sacrifice
    > for a significant weight savings

Well the Force Ten Helium Carbon 200 Tent has one vestibule:
    http://www.forcetentents.com/helium-carbon-200.html

It's probably more like a 1.5 person tent.

Going larger, the Vaude Power Lizard SUL 2-3P has a wider floor than the TarpTent and weighs a claimed 44 oz:
    http://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Tents/Power-Lizard-SUL-2-3P-green.html

In addition to comparing tents with similar pole structures, it's interesting to compare tents of similar weights. The GoLite Imogene UL 3P comes to mind, which gives a lot more floor area, but less ventilation options. The Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 is just about the same weight too.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

@Peter:

Is the process for shelters anything like headnets?

Bob

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Always horses for courses.
    If you try to squeeze in two person inside the lightest design the DM is not it..
    But if you do you may just end up having something that looks like this :

Small double

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/vango_helium_superlite200_review.html

On the other hand, the larger Vaude Power Lizard SUL 2-3P is listed at 505 euro, about $700USD, having one entry point only will not work for some anyway.
    DM : Double Moment
    (one of the tents discussed in this thread)

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

What is DM?

Yeah, the inner of the Force Ten Helium Carbon 200 Tent is probably the same width at the ends as the Vango Helium Superlite 200: 80 cm (31.5 inches)

I see the Vaude Power Lizard SUL 2-3P from a retailer for $405. I can't find any reviews of it though.

There's also the Robens' Buzzard:
    http://www.robens.de/en/Products/Tents/Lite/Buzzard.aspx

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I'm not trying to say that the Double Moment should have been designed differently. It's just that I can't have what I want and I'm whining!
    And thanks Henry and Franco for the tent design lesson. I now have a better understanding of why it was made the way it was. The tent fabric at the ends being “in your face” comment made the design make sense to me.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools