Topic

Paradox Unaweep

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Paradox Unaweep

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

paradox1

Disclaimer: I got this pack for free.

paradox2

Circumference is 36" throughout. Height is 38" along the back unrolled. This bag is 100% VX-42, and 22 ounces. Pack is 44 ounces overall with a 26" tall frame.

paradox3

More here: http://bedrockandparadox.com/2014/05/05/paradox-unaweep/

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Looks nifty.

J Mag

@goprogator

So this is what D C actually looks like…

Black is a good color on you.

Pack looks good too lol. Probably perfect for a packrafting trip.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

I pay the guy downstairs to pose in all my article photos.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Look very cool but for the hiking I do I wouldn't use such a big pack very often. Do you think it would work to make one with a cut down frame and a Dyneema X bag? Assuming I stay in West Texas most of heavy loads will be water for a 2-3 day desert trip. I don't need a lot of volume but the ability to carry heavy loads would be nice.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

A 24 inch frame is the shortest available, and still works for me with 40 pound loads. You could also ask for a shorter bag, or roll the roll top down most of the time. I don't know if Seek Outside has gridstop on hand, but it's worth asking. VX-42 is a really nice fabric, the surface weave is very tight and slick which seems to contribute to really good abrasion resistance.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

I had a pack made of VX 42 and love the stuff, unfortunately it didn't fit so I traded it. I liked it better then gridstop but it is heavier. I probably would not us a 44oz 26 inch tall pack very often. But one that was shorter and a bit lighter would get a lot more use.

Dave would you please bring this pack and your homemade ones to the packraft round up? It would be fun to see them all in the flesh. I'll be bringing my modified Exped Lighting so you can play with that one if you like.

Ian Clark
    BPL Member

@chindits

Locale: Cntrl ROMO

I've been experimenting with their evolution, mostly as a critter hauler. My initial impression are. I hate the side pocket tensioning system after having been spoiled by Elemental Horizon's system. I haven't tried any real big loads yet. However, with out the load extenders, it seems that the load lifters aren't doing it for me. I stayed away from their xpac fabric due to how noisey I remember it being in sub freezing temps. Maybe that is not as bad as it use to be, but I've had to work too much oakbrush so noise is always in the back of my mind. Will see how the 210D holds up. I'm still playing with it, so the jury is still out. I might add some mesh side sleeves to it for tripods/spotter and wet gear (tarp and rain gear).

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Will do Luke.

Ian, the lighter the xpac the noiser. Weather below freezing and the fabric being new exacerbates the noise a lot.

Abraham Schlossberg
    BPL Member

@ernda

Locale: Southern California

Hi. Went to your site. Am I missing it or is is there not a strap with buckle to cinch down the rolltop from the sides? Do you have to use the middle compression strap? I wonder because if you opt for the top lid you run out of straps unless the rolltop buckles connect together as you show. Maybe it does't matter when the over-the top straps are installed.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

There are no dedicated straps for the rolltop. Either the top or middle compression straps will mate with the buckles, but I always run it as pictured above. Paradox added a nice bit of plastic stiffener to the rolltop, which allows you to really crank down and roll the top tight. The y strap over the top would also add additional compression, but I don't find it necessary unless I'm strapping a pad or rope on top.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

The 4800 and 6300 pack bags, wrap easily around the frame and connect together. I usually slide it under the load lifter webbing. The 3900 can , but it takes more effort and I don't do it. Normally, I repurpose a compression strap if need be, but that is rare. On the Evo, the lower frame attachment point at 24 inches has a buckle on it for that purpose, however if you use the frame at 24 then you loose that. The assumption is , at lower heights , you will not necessarily be "hauling" and thus can use one of the compression straps easily. Most packs, use some arrangement of 2 compression straps. We use 3 as standard, so even if you repurpose one, you still have two.

You don't also really need to loose a compression strap either. There is another method which is to put two buckles on one strap, the first goes up to the roll top, the second down to compression. There are some limitations when doing this, mainly webbing length. Overall the compression system is very very adaptable.

Alternatively, the more exposed frame of the Unaweep opens it up to a lot of adaptability. A triglide, buckle and some webbing and you just added another compression strap. Likewise, you could make a mini prusick and put on the frame and attach whatever you see fit.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

Luke, I think 3900 is about as small a diameter as we can go on the frame, mainly due to top opening size and bottom width. When rolled down to a 24 inch frame height, the volume of the 3900 is closer to 3000. You can use it at a 24 inch height, and some people have used the Evo as small as 22, but at 22 they do not get much lift at all, of course they don't plan on the lift at that height.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Thanks Kevin, a 22 inch frame would work quit nicely for 95% of my trips. I'm definitely going to take a look at Dave's and see what I think.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

I am pretty impressed with the weight. My HMG Porter 4400 is 52oz with the front pocket and a set of Zimmerbuilt side pockets and with a taller frame sporting load lifters. Those additions bring the functionality roughly in line with this model Paradox.

tim byrne
    BPL Member

@mountainhanger

Locale: Midwest

That is one nice looking ride, just ordered mine about ten days ago sent to emails requesting a tea but as of yet to hear from them. Seriously hoping the wait will be worth it

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Philip, is that the newer version with all 150D fabric?

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

It's a pack I recently picked up here slightly used, so I don't know the exact vintage. I think it has the 150d on the bottom and 50d elsewhere, as far as I can tell. I already put some holes in it on my ski trip. It does not have the new, longer hip belt, but it does have the plastic framesheet. Not sure if those particulars are very diagnostic. My frame extension is only responsible for about 2-3 oz of weight gain.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Sounds like a '13, perhaps.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools