Topic

Bear Bag Ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Bear Bag Ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jericho Cain

@jcain6

I am looking for a inexpensive bear bagging system.

So far I think I am going to use a light weight stuff sack with an ursack odor barrier zip lock inside.

Has anyone tried a similar set up before? Anyone got any better ideas?

Edit: The majority of my hiking is done on the AT in Georgia and North Carolina.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I made a bear hanging system like the one sold by BPL. I used a large and small silnylon stuff sack from REI, a small carabiner, a large OP sack, and originally some lightweight nylon cord.

I’ve since bought some of the bear bagging cord from BPL, I highly recommend it since it’s nice and slick and glides over branches well, plus it doesn’t tangle as much as the other nylon line I was using.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

You may want to doublebag the (or carry a 2nd) ursack liner– the zip closure is fragile and sometimes is subject to failure.

Check out BPL’s ultralight bear bag system and also familiarize yourself with the PCT method of bearbagging– info on same page as system, I believe.

Jericho Cain

@jcain6

Thanks! The PCT method looks great. I am going to try it in my backyard tommorrow.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools