Topic

We need a grill sale here on BPL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals We need a grill sale here on BPL

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

So for the month of May, I'm going to have one. My regular 0.9 oz. Zia grills will be $45 shipped (regular price $50).

Also, I have made up a batch of what I call the Mega Grill, which is a regular grill with stainless steel Stix reinforcements. The SS isn't much affected by intense heat like titanium is, so you can load it up pretty well when using it over a very hot fire. The SS Stix are attached to the grill by cute little hand made split rings, and the Stix can easily be removed and left at home if they aren't needed. The SS Stix are .85 oz. each, making the reinforced grill come in at 2.6 oz., still pretty light for a fully functioning grill. These will be $58 shipped (regular price $65). Here are a couple of photos of the Mega Grill.

First one, the assembled grill:

Mega Grill

One of the disassembled parts:

Mega Grill components

Also, some people have wanted a double grill to sandwich a big trout or steak. These allow you to not have to flip the meat or fish, but to simply flip the grill itself (with a gloved hand–titanium gets hot!). The two matched grills are connected along the sides with stiff, thin titanium rods, which you can see in this photo. Disclaimer: no fish were harmed in the making of this photo, as there wasn't one handy. Grilled fatwood kindling anyone?

Double grill

The double grill setup normally is $95, but during the month of May you can have one for $85.

If you are interested in any of these products, just send an e-mail to drzooz (at) aol (dot) com, or a PM, and we'll work out my PayPal and your mailing address.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I am sure it is listed somewhere, but what are the dimensions on the grill?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Chad, they are 11.5" x 4.5", although the length can vary from one grill to another since they are made by hand.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

I am also knocking 10% off the new price of a set of 6 titanium Stix. Due to the rising cost of titanium, I've had to bump up the price from $30 to $33. This has already been changed on Rob's QiWiz.net web site, but I will be happy to sell sets to the good folks here on BPL for the old price of $30. You'll need to contact me directly in order to get my products at these prices. My e-mail address is in the first post.

Get to grilling, people–'tis the season!

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Just a shout-out for Gary, who sent me a Mega Grill at my request earlier this year. I am very impressed with it. It's light too, holds a lot of weight, and makes it even easier to practice LNT when using wood fires.

I've already decided it will be a staple for my backcountry fishing trips this year. Ounces well spent!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Clayton, thanks for the shout out. I've hoped that the setup worked OK for you. These Mega Grills are pretty macho, no?

Anyone else want to grab something before the end of May? I'll likely be on the road and out of touch during much of July-August, so now's the time to pick up grills and Stix on the cheap.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

This is the last call for my May sale, as it will end next weekend.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

It's that time of the year again, folks–discounted grills. See my first post for details and pricing. The only thing that is different this year is that I am almost sold out of the Zia Stix. I just have 2 sets of 6 Stix and one set of 4 remaining. The prices are $33 and $23 respectively. I had Rob Kelly delete the Stix from his QiWiz.net web site, and I am offering the last Stix to the good folks here on BPL. If interested, please post on this thread, and then send me an e-mail (drzooz at Aol dot com).

Summer's almost here, so let's get grillin'.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I am a happy owner of the Zia grill – superlight and it works great!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Thanks, Mike. I'm glad the grill is working for you.

Steve, Mike, and David, I mailed your things this afternoon.

Now I am down to one last, lonely, set of 6 Stix. When it sells, they will become a kinky collectors' item. These are the last of the original ones I had made in 2011, when I put points on the tips. They are the lightest ones of all (59 gm. for 6), as they are 1/2" shorter than the latest batch. The working length is 8.75", which works fine to support a grill, and great for tent stakes. A Stix works well as a back scratcher, a pointer for use in a map discussion, and they make a great way to hang a candle or mini lantern inside a quinzee or igloo.

And then there are those regular and Mega grills…

May the 4th be with you!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Randy, Your Mega grill will be mailed tomorrow (Tuesday). Invite me down for some marmot cutlets!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

This is kind of a sad day for me–Chris bought my very last available set of Stix this morning. He will give them a good home, I am certain, so that's good. But I can no longer claim that I am the planet's sole Stix vendor. But at least I've kept a personal stash of them, so when sadness hits I can always sit on my patio and fondle one, and remember the good old days of Stixdom.

But–I still have scads of grills on hand, and I am heading to the post office this afternoon. If you order one soon, I can get it to you before the weekend. Let's go, people–make me proud of you!

Chris Bruce
    BPL Member

@lonepalm

Locale: Central Florida

Gary,

The Mega grill and the Stix's arrived yesterday and all I can say is they look great!! Very well made and you weren't kidding when you said light and strong? Hopefully will be able to put it to use sooner than later (gotta get through the honey do list first, if that's even possible). Will post a pic of the first fish cooking on it.

Thanks again for the great communication, fast delivery, and advice

Chris

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Thanks for posting your comments, Chris. I appreciate your kind words. Here's hoping that you can get out there soon, snag a tasty Florida fish, and grill it up.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Time's running out for my May 2015 BPL-only grill sale, folks. Next Monday it will be history. See the very first post on this thread for pricing, options, etc. You may send me a PM, or e-mail me directly at drzooz (at) aol (dot) com. My regular grills and the beefed up Mega grills are 10% off right now, and shipping is included in the price. My Mini grills are NOT on sale, but they can be found on Rob Kelly's QiWiz.net web site.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have been very happy with my old set of Stix.
    Sad to know that you are no longer going to manufacture them.

They are far superior to typical titanium tent stakes, when used that way.
    The long length and squiggle at the head allows them to be more versatile, but they also have many other uses, like holding up the grill:-)

Dave T

@davet

"My Mini grills are NOT on sale, but they can be found on Rob Kelly's QiWiz.net web site."

That doesn't sound very exclusive.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Rather than start a new thread, I will use this one to make a BPL special holiday offering for my grills. My computer crashed last summer, deleting all my photos, so the ones in this thread are all I have available to me. Scroll back up to read about the grills.

So, during the month of December, I am offering the grills to the BPL folks for the following 10% discounted prices:

Regular grill $45
    Mega grill $58
    Double grill with connector rods $85

These prices include shipping. Happy holidays, everyone!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools