Topic

Alternatives to Lawson Outdoor InsuLite XL pad?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alternatives to Lawson Outdoor InsuLite XL pad?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

Lawson's XL foam pads are out of stock. I see that Gossamer Gear has some, but their large size is smaller than Lawson's, and I'm looking for something that will pretty much protect the fully length of my long Xlite. Any suggestions?

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Pads should be back instock next week. ETA May 9th.. I will have the torso and xl in both 1/8" and 1/4".

Thanks,
    Lawson

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Thanks Lawson!

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I taped together two pieces of 1/4" foam to make 60" length and used it for the entire JMT. Still going strong. I used ripstop repair tape, available at your local kite shop. I'm no longer bothered by any available foam not being long enough.

Width is a different story. 24" minimum, and I'm not running a piece of tape the entire length of my pad to get that width…

Steve

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

The Lawson Outdoor InsuLite XL pads are awesome.

24" wide and much strong (tear resistant) than GG pads.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

+1 to Lawson's pads.

They are also very malleable.

I fold mine in half lengh-wise, with my sleeping bag in-between the folds, and roll the whole thing up. The end result is a 12" wide by 6-7" diameter burrito.

nleve0778@ gmail.com

@quixotic_1

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

The XL pads seem to be out of stock. Any thoughts on when they will become available again?

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Lawson thought they would be in by now, but he emailed me to let me know that the foam mill was in his words "driving me crazy!" He said he would keep me posted. So, no way of knowing when they will be in stock.. Hopefully soon.

nleve0778@ gmail.com

@quixotic_1

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Word, Thanks for the info, BJ.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools