Topic

MYOG Gear Closet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Gear Closet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

There was a similar thread here asking what closet organization people we using, and instead of the gear section I'm curious as to what others have built to suit their needs? I'll start with my small set up.

photo 1

photo 4

My corner is also home to the only workshop space. My work bench is on casters that I can roll outside, and all tools are hooked up to a retractable 15amp power strip. This is also where I do all of my sewing. What does your gear room look like?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

shop-pano-1
    Panorama of my 168 sq. ft. workshop/gear storage space

ski-rack
    Ski rack close-up

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

Sam,

That is a pretty slick set up. I tried pano but couldn't get it to look semi decent. I like the ski rack, really simple but very effective.
    Bonus points for the American Flag too.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Thanks, Jon. The workbench, shelf, and ski rack were all built from free, salvaged lumber. And the American flag was only a few dollars at the thrift store. Since I've taken the photo I've condensed the bikes by turning all the handlebars sideways and re-spaced the hooks at around 11" so I could add in one more bike.

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

Salvage parts are awesome. Every salvage part has a story to tell, just like anything worn.

Reading your part about turning bars to add a bike reminds me of this .

"…even of I only have 20 minutes, I'll pick a draw and organize it." different but the same.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Link didn't work, Jon. It just directs back to this same page.

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

Sorry Sam corrected it.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

I use our formal living room. Wife 'loves' the packs and gear spread all over the place.

I tell her, "You can't leave a thermarest and down sleeping bag packed up all the time".

She does wonder why I have a scale and underware down there when I am not going on a trip anytime soon.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Holy cow Jon and Sam, some very nice and neat organization there! I am not nearly so well ordered or clean, ever. I really like the rolling bench which can go outside on a nice day. Will have to copy that eventually.

My clothing, packs, pads, and sleeping bags live in the closet in our guest room, along with my sewing table and stash of fabric. Backpacking stoves, pots, and food have their own drawer in the kitchen. Bikes, skis, rafts, climbing gear and tents are downstairs in the garage along with the power tools.

This arrangement has made for a good packing and unpacking work flow. When packing, grab a pack off the floor, load it with softgoods, take it to the kitchen, load up on food, leave it by the door. The next morning it goes down to the car and any technical gear gets added along with the shelter. When I get back, dirt stuff and anything which needs drying is hung up and left in the garage, and everything else goes upstairs to be unpacked and cleaned.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Organization of stored gear is a priority for me but Dave's comments on process are important as well. It's one thing if you're a "couple times a year" kind of person and you don't get out very often but when these activities are something you take part in nearly every week then process and organization are key.

My storage tubs are labeled with what's inside (Shelter, Cooking & Hydration, Climbing/Fishing, Skiing/Snowboarding, Car Camping, et al) and I use my workbench to collate items needed from those boxes. Gear lists are hung on the wall close by for reference.

Collated items are taken upstairs and laid out, double checked against a list on my phone or tablet and put into the chosen pack and set by front door for quick getaway the next morning.

Upon return items go either into backyard or on drying rack in our very large bathroom. My wife and I try very hard to not let gear build up after a trip and make it a goal to have it put away within 24 hours of cleaning and drying.

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

Thank you Dave. The workbench was a thought for some time but I had to gut some of the garage and move a wall to do so. Wife wanted gear out of basement so I just took some of the basement away and added it to garage for space simply moving the wall. I figured future sale of house a few additional sqft of storage in garage won't hurt. The workbench on the backside has a power strip which makes the whole process of any project so much easier, along with the sawhorses hanging from the end of it.

Bench1

Bench2
    Roll the whole unit either in center of garage or outside if weather allows, and it has all tools on it. The secret to success with it is matter what, at the end of the day nothing is allowed to sit on top of bench, even if that means I just stack stuff on the ground. I figured I'd put it away if it was on the ground before off of bench. All sewing material is still upstairs but will eventually move down to workbench area, which is the corner of garage but luckily it is a heated and AC insulated area.

As far as process goes that maybe just as important as being organized. I like to have everything by each other to make the packing go quick and thorough. I get about 18ish weekends a year including one week trip somewhere but most of weekend trips I'll have either fishing kit, packraft, or ropes of sorts weather it's climbing or doing some rappelling/exploring. I put whatever my 'main destination' gear on bench, select sleeping bag, grab either tarp or shelter, clothing, cook, essentials bag, then pull the blue cooler (on top shelf) down with a premade meals I have in zip lock bags, and I can literally pack entire weekend trip in less than 5 minutes. Hardest part is deciding which craft beer to take in a homemade insulex cooler.

The unpack process is simple for me. A long time ago I decided that as soon as I get home I can't go inside until I'm completely unpacked and clothes are in wash. Again less than a 5 min process. Having a working system for the whole process allows me to stay motivated to go on trips even if they are only for a night. If it was more work to pack/track gear/stress/unpack the lazy side of me would win the internal argument.

Also Sam I like the labels, my sewing bin (jewelry maker hobby bin) has labels, I just don't like the way those Rubbermaid bins make gear smell.

Daniel D
    Spectator

@dandru

Locale: Down Under

I built the framework around the Ikea Algot system, the clear plastic containers come from Ikea as well.

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/11466/

Ikea Algot

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

UL backpackers and our organizational habits make us good husbands and wives. My wife refers to me as a "Type A dirtbag".

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools