Topic

What is the lightest 2p free standing tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is the lightest 2p free standing tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    marcelo mora

@ondeck

I've been looking at the very popular and well known BA FC ul2. But what is the lightest out recently?

David Ure

@familyguy

Freestanding or self supporting (the Fly Creek 2 requires 13 pegs for a tight pitch and is not what many would consider truly freestanding)?

Double walled or single walled?

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

If I'm reading right, the Big Sky Soul 2 is as low as 1 lb 9.5 oz… It's free standing and double wall too.

marcelo mora

@ondeck

OUCH! I dont have 783 dollars to spend on a tent(nice tent though)! I would like it to be double walled. And as long as it's not a tarp tent and it has poles and it's light, I'll be happy. I just like to be able to pick up my tent and move locations easily if ever needed or for easy cleaning.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

GoLite has the Imogene 2, and REI has a Dash 2, both of which are "free-standing" and around 2.5 lbs.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Would you like it to hold two people? The 2p version is very narrow. I have the 3p version and it works great for two. All that to say I'm not up on lightest 2p freestanding shelters. But do be aware most that are labeled 2p are very tight for two adults.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I was going to say just what Warren added. Many so called 2P tents out there don't really accommodate 2 actual people so well.

I use a 3P tent from Big Sky. Highly recommended, but it won't compete weight-wise with the lightest (tiny) 2P tents out there.

I too really like free standing. Makes them easier to set up on the tent platforms that I commonly come across out here.

bayden cline
    Spectator

@pyro_

I had the fly creek ul2 last year and would echo those above int hat it would be tight for two. I would call it more of a 1.5 person tent

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

I too like Big Sky International Shelters/Tents….Very high quality and a nice space to weight ratio but can be a bit costly depending on options/fabric choice.

I recently picked up a Easton Kilo 2P (70% at Backcountry.com was hard to pass up) for use with my daughter…..though not the roomiest two person design it is reasonably light with a trail weight of under 2.5lbs

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Another +1 for Big Sky tents. I have a Mirage 1P, though I have used and enjoyed the Mirage 2P as well. Very well constructed shelters.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I'm a current user of the BA Fly Creek UL2. As another mentioned, it's self-supporting but you must stake it out if you want full usable dimensions so it's not really "free standing" since free-standing is generally taken to mean you don't have to stake it to have full usability. It's also NOT a 2 person tent unless you really like to snuggle or at least one of you is really small. An adult and a child, sure. 2 adults- probably not. I have mine for myself and my dog. If you truly want a 2 person tent in this style, get the UL3.

It is easy to set up, readily available on Gear Swap on a regular basis for a good price (often around 50% of new), seems to be durable, is fairly lightweight for a double wall tent, and does a decent job with varying weather conditions of spring/summer/fall. I've had mine in light snow, fairly snappy winds, and rain. No hurricane force stuff, yet, though.

marcelo mora

@ondeck

Thanks for all the replies! I would be using this tent with my girlfriend and not another male companion… I will also be using this tent for myself on some solo trips.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

At just under 3 lbs. the Stratospire 2 uses two hiking poles for its main support and has very ample room for two and their gear. It also has two entrances and two generous vestibules.

The SS2's shape is also fairly aerodynamic if high winds are encountered. And Tarptent's made in USA quality is excellent, plus the price is quite reasonable.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Tarptent Double Rainbow is free standing when used with two trekking poles. At 41 oz and $289, it's lighter and cheaper than the TT Stratospire 2.

Compared to the other tents mentioned in this thread, not the lightest, but cheaper than most, and has two doors, which is very nice for two people.

— Rex

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Strato Spire 2 is not that first tent that comes to mind when freestanding is the requirement..
    Anyway Marcelo,, do make sure that, since weight is the other priority, you check exactly what is included in the given weight .
    Some include stakes and stuff sack, others exclude one or both.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

If you really like to snuggle consider the TarpTent (single) Rainbow. The floor is 40" wide, so there is enough room for two pads. It is light and with trekking poles is freestanding. This is the tent I was considering for me and my wife. (I'm waiting for the Double Moment; I love the easy setup of the Moment).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools