Topic

Looking for materials

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Looking for materials

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

Greetings,
    I've poked around the internet a fair bit and done my best google-fu and have come to the conclusion that I need some help sourcing a couple of items for a project i'm planning.

The first is lycra bias binding tape. Don't really care about color, black would be just fine, but I'd be open to others. I found a place in the UK that sells it, but I'm sure the shipping would far outweigh the cost of the product. Is this something that is sold at any of the craft/sewing chain stores in the US(like Hobby Lobby, Hancock, or JoAnns)?

The second item is harder to describe. The pockets of my Eddie Bauer Downlite puffy are lined with what I believe to be some kind of microfleece or else a microfiber, any ideas what it might be? It's much thinner than any fleece I've felt before but it doesn't quite have the faux-suede feel of most microfiber items. It might be similar to fabric like in the MSR camp towels.

Any help on either of these would be great.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

brushed tricot

David Scheidt

@dscheidt

for binding tape, you can probably find fold over elastic at a fabric store. It's a thin woven elastic (woven elastics get thinner, not narrower, when stretched) with a mark down the center, so you know where to fold it. You can also buy some suitable fabric and make your own tape. It's not hard, and a little bit of fabric yields a lot of tape (a yard of 50" (usable width) fabric yields nearly 100 feet of 1.5" bias (which gets folded in half twice, for a finished width o about 3/8".).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools