Topic

Anybody tried the new Cascade Mountain flick lock trekking poles? (updated version of last summer’s Cocsto poles)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anybody tried the new Cascade Mountain flick lock trekking poles? (updated version of last summer’s Cocsto poles)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

I see that there's a new version the Cascade Mountain carbon fiber trekking poles on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mountain-Carbon-Fiber-Trekking/dp/B00EJP43FA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398371258&sr=8-2&keywords=cascade+mountain+poles

This is the same brand that Costco was selling for $30 a pair last summer, but they appear to have added a flick lock.

Amazon review are generally positive, but lack any detail. Just wondering if anyone here had tried them?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

There are a few reviews now on the Amazon page for which you provided a link.

There was some discussion also at (wherein your poster went down fighting):

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=85698

Also recommend the short article in the May 2014 issue of "Consumer Reports," concerning internet reviews. It confirms what I have suspected, and is an argument for gravitating to credible negative reviews, rather than just averaging them up.

Amazon states that the pole weighs just under 8 oz, or 190 gm.(6.7 oz).
    Am now using a Scott "X-Plore" pole made in Italy, that has a novel cam type lock above and a pushbutton below, weighs 8.36 oz modified to take a Leki mud basket and rubber tip, has a 13.5" long, chokable foam grip with horizontal ribs below and a burly strap, and is all aluminum.

So bought a carbon Locus Gear cam lock, and figure after installing a similar long grip, it will be around 7 oz. What's holding me back is concern about whether the light carbon pole will survive rocky terrain, like boulder and large scree fields. The Scott pole has weathered a lot of rock here in the White Mtns with no sign of weakness or failure. In the case of the Cascade Mtn, I'd also be concerned about whether less than an ounce drop in weight is worth taking a chance with the carbon.
    Wish we had some more objective way of knowing the strength of different carbon trekking poles.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

I have a pair, I got them at Costco about two months ago for $30. 15.4 oz on my scale. I wouldn't say I've quite put them through the ringer, but on my last adventure there were a few times when I stumbled, the pole tips got wedged between some rocks, and I ended up torquing them pretty hard. They held up fine. The flick locks are solid too.

I'll definitely report in if one of them breaks, but so far so good.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Mitchell — Can you comment on the minimum length of the pole for the locks to be engaged? One amazon review says they don't lock tightly when collapsed. Just thinking about pitching a tarp with them.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I have had them since the end of last year, they collapse down to 26 inches and there is some play in the bottom section when fully collapsed. Mine weigh 7.3 ounces each with the strap attached and big grips which could be traded out to something lighter if you wanted.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

J J, that's true but shouldn't be a problem. The bottom section is tapered at the end, but not for very long. I only need to extend it 2.5" past its minimum in order to get it to lock securely. Total length in that configuration (collapsed as short as can be securely locked) is 28.5" end-to-end.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

I think I'll grab a pair. Thanks all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools