Topic

Poncho-Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Poncho-Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nathan matthews

@nathanm

Locale: Bay Area

Looking for the next cheap way to lighten my load, I’m thinking I’ll try sewing a poncho tarp. Does anybody have advice on this? Looking at the dimensions of other tarps (at around 5′ x 8′), it seems like I could use a single piece of silnylon and only have to sew the edges, guyouts and hood.

Anyone who has made and used a poncho-tarp before, do you have advice?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

If you look on page 3 (about half way down) of my “Super Ultra Light – Make Your Own for an AT Thru-Hike” thread on this Make Your Own Gear Forum you can see the Poncho/Tarp I made out of Cuben fibric. I made it as wide as the material comes (48″) by 90″ long.

For a day or two SUL hike it should be OK.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Just an FYI

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Thanks Joshua, that is a very nice compliment.

nathan matthews

@nathanm

Locale: Bay Area

thanks for the pointer–i usually skip loading images, being on a slow modem, so i hadn’t noticed it.

bill, your tarp looks great. i’m thinking of using 1.3oz silnylon to have something a _little_ more durable (i hike on trail, but they’re often really overgrown trails), so i was wondering whether you think the corner/guy-out pattern you used would still be necessary or be overkill. also, can you share the pattern you used for the hood?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools