Topic

Is Lawson Equipment on vacation?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Is Lawson Equipment on vacation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

I'm really sorry if this caused you any grief. I didn't mean for this to turn into anything other than to make sure you were still active since it was my first order from you.

My condolences.

Dave T

@davet

"…responsible father and business owner. The two are not mutually exclusive."

Agreed.

We all cut cottage manufacturers and suppliers a TON of slack – I mean, some people loaned Big Sky money for 1.5 years with nary a product in sight, and still half defend them. We are happy to wait for quality products.

But even a tiny amount of communication goes a long way. If you can't email back shipping times, at least post a note about shipping delays on the web site, so there is full disclosure to purchasers. That takes no time, and is the (minimum) fair way to treat customers. To do otherwise is disingenuous.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Lawson, congratulation — sounds like you had some tough moments, and maybe not completely out of the woods yet but hopefully things are looking up. Focus on what's important and take care of your family. If that means you have a slight delay in dealing with your customers that's just the way it is, most will accept that and if any do not that is beyond your control. Keep up the good work, and best to you, your wife, and your new bundle of joy.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Dave T. Really…. To compare me to Big Sky is nothing more than a slap in the face. Have you ever ordered from me before? If so, are you waiting on an order? If not are you waiting on an email to be returned? If not, then whats your problem??

I just checked and the only Dave T that has ever ordered from me has placed a total of 7 orders over the last 3 years and one order a little more than a month ago. So I doubt this is you??

As far as posting a note on my website. I have one and its been there for the entire month of April. Way before all this happened and I have been returning emails to CUSTOMERS as fast as possible and filling them in. So far every customer I have talked to has been very understanding and supportive and I only have about 10 more emails to respond to before I am caught up and all orders placed before 4/22 have been shipped.

I really wish I could of pre-planned for this but its hard to pre-plan for an unexpected medical condition and a baby that comes early. Especially when both things warrant immediate attention. So while I would of liked to send an email to the whole world during the whole ordeal, I thought it was more important to get orders out the door, plus who really wants to publicize their troubles? Surely not me..

Again I say BIG SKY.. REALLY???

Dave T

@davet

I think you need to take a breath. Where did I compare your business directly with Big Sky? I made a general statement about cottage manufacturers and how we all are happy to give the tons of slack, even in egregious cases like Big Sky. That is solely a comment on how accomodating and supportive we all are of cottage manufacturers at large, not a comment about your specific business.

However, somehow thinking that only folks who have ordered from you can comment on your business practices is not correct. And getting wound up about it and getting personal about it (whether to Dave U. or me) doesn't shine a good light on your approach to the business and to your potential or actual customers.

Bottom line is that you had something really important get in the way of fulfilling orders, there was an apparent lack of communication, and via this thread at least some of the folks know now and are obviously understanding (which was my point about "tons of slack").

Proceed.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Lawson,

What a difficult ordeal for you, your wife, and your brand new daughter! (And congratulations to all of you!)

Things WILL get better, and before you know it, you'll be one of those families I see out on the trail: the guy with a HUGE pack; the woman with the baby-carrier backpack; and the cute smiling baby watching the world go by from the safety of mom's shoulders!

:^)

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Dave T.. You compared me to Big Sky. You used them as an example and then ended your first post by basically saying I was being disingenuous. As far as taking your comments personal. Its pretty hard not too since they were directed at me personally.. As far as business advice goes. If you have never done business with me then how is it possible to have an opinion of how I do business? By this small snapshot of the last three weeks?? How about the previous 5 years? How about a normal week were orders are shipped the same day and arrive a few days later…

I have one customer that has ordered from me 17 times. I have over 10 customers that have ordered from me 15 times or more. I have over 100 customers that have ordered from me 10 times or more and over 1,000 customers that have ordered from me more than 5 times.. If I did such a bad job all the time then why would these people keep coming back? I am not saying that my customer service is perfect, because its not. I want to add a phone number to my website with someone to answer it. I want that same person to answer all my emails and I want to hire 5-10 people so I can manufacture all the products I have designed over the years. And I am working hard to do this.

So while I am the first to agree the last few weeks have not been ideal and that I feel bad that my problems became my customers problems, this hiccup has no way shape or form effected you or Dave U.

To everyone else.. Thanks for your blessings, best wishes, patience and your business and support over the years : )

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Lawson,
    And soon you will be getting my first order. How soon will I need it? When you are able to get to it!
    BJ

Dave T

@davet

You will always find what you want in words. But I'd ask that you read them again. The Big Sky reference is, was, and still is only a reference to how much we all support cottage manufacturers on BPL.

Regardless, you've been through a lot and folks are totally cool with that. Especially if they know that there will be a delay based on real life getting in the way of business.

You are focusing on me. You should focus on your customer comments. When (apprently really nice and cool folks like) Jolly Green Giant wait an extended (apparently unsatisfactory) time for stuff and aren't happy about it, I'd think about that. This is not the first time folks have had a problem with your business, raising to the level of questions on this forum. If you want to go after individuals, that's your call. I'd suggest it's not the best approach for a business. But I know (now) you have lots going on, and my ONLY point was that an ounce of communication is worth a pound of "what's going on with lawson? i put an order in eight days ago and haven't heard anything."

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

NICU and pre eclampsia put every guys worst fears right in front of them.
    I went through the same thing and have never been more scared, grateful and sleep deprived.

Congrats man. Glad it ended well. Get some rest, enjoy your family, and I'm sure I speak for many here when I say we'll keep ordering cool stuff from your site. ;)

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

Lawson,

Congratulations on the new arrival, and sympathy for the difficulties.

Being UK based, I've never ordered from you, but I think anyone who has taken any notice of your activity on the forums will know yo to be level-headed, helpful and customer-focused.

All my best wishes,

Dave

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Congrats on the new baby Lawson! I hope everything turns out well for baby and Mama.

Ryan

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

I've ordered from Lawson on several occasions and have always been extremely happy with the service, communication, and most of all the end product.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools