Topic

Help planning beginners New England trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Help planning beginners New England trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Cameron Habib
    Spectator

@camhabib

New to backpacking, I've done a number of day hikes, but I'm looking to plan a few 1-3 night trips around New England (based in Boston) from early spring to late fall. I've compiled a few ideas, namely Mt. Greylock and Black Angel Trail (Wild River Wilderness), but having never visiting either of these spots, I'm at a loss for what to expect. I'd appreciate any feedback on those two spots, or any additional ideas on places to try. Thanks!

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Locale: New England

Greylock is a decent hike, and the summit has the best views you will find in MA (plus it is almost obligatory to do the high point in your home state). The problem with Greylock is that there is a road to the top, making for a pretty crowded summit. I would recommend going before the road opens on May 17th if possible, otherwise try to hit it on a weekday.

If you follow the AT north from Greylock to the VT border you will hit the Long Trail (which runs to Canada). The Long Trail is great. I am not sure what your loop options on the lower end are but if your new to backpacking an out and back is not a bad idea. Hiking out on the first day and then retracing your steps on the second is a good way to get a feel for how much mileage you can handle in a day.

Mt Washington and the other Presidentials are also great. They have far more above the treeline than you will find anywhere else in the Northeast. I have never tried the Black Angel trail but after a quick Googling I am intrigued,

Cameron Habib
    Spectator

@camhabib

Brendan, thanks a lot for the tips! I wasn't aware about the road, but it's a great piece of info. I'll def try to make it out in the next week or two. I was interested in trying both Mt. Washington and the Presidential Traverse, but they both seemed a bit more challenging. Is that the case?

Cameron Habib
    Spectator

@camhabib

I have a couple of free days next week and was thinking about doing the Presidential Traverse then. So far, my plan is as follows:
    – Start mid morning in the North off Snyder Brook
    – Hit Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Clay, and wind up at Washington to watch sunset.
    – Head back north by Great Gulf Trail into the Great Gulf Wilderness, to about Sphinx Trail to camp for the night.
    – Up in the morning to complete the rest of the hike.

Some questions for anyone who's familiar with the area:
    1) Are there any good known camping spots in the Great Gulf Wilderness, or potentially other spots near Mt. Washington? I've just heard that there "are spots" but the AMC maps don't show any, and I've read that a few tent sites have been shut down as of late.
    2) What are the current regulations for camping in the White Mountains? I've heard 200ft from trial and certain areas off limits, but can't seem to find anything official.

Thanks!

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

It is still VERY early to do a presi trip of any type. The trails are still covered in ice http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/

I would not suggest the Presi range for a beginner anyway. There are not many camp options, most of it is above treeline and the distances between lower areas is pretty far. having overnight gear just adds to the difficulty. I recommend people get in shape and do it in 1 day. and have other Whites experience beforehand.

just for reference.. here was my presi in a day itinerary.
    Appalachia lot 5am
    madison summit 7:30
    adams 830
    jefferson 10:20
    washington 12:30
    lake of clouds 2pm (didn't take that long but we had lunch at washington)
    monroe 2:10
    Franklin 2:45
    Eisenhower 3:35
    Pierce 4:40
    Mitzpah hut 5:15
    jackson 615
    webster 7:00
    webster trailhead 8:45

so 15 hours at a steady pace, on a perfect bluebird day in the summer.

It looks like there is snow in much of NH still so I would be looking southwest into CT or along the AT in MA. Greylock is fun but depending on the route you take there are a few river crossings that could still be high so have backup route ideas. I hiked into the shelter for the night, hiked packless up to the summit and back then hiked out.

good loops
    –"semi pemi" Lincoln woods to 13 falls or Guyot then day 2 south along the bonds.
    –full pemi as a 3-4 day guyot night 1, Garfield night 2, possibly liberty springs night 3.
    –Kinsman/cannon loop staying at the awesome shelter

WMF camping rules. 200' from trail or water source. 1/4mi from shelter/hut. below tree line unless on 2' of snow. Shelters and established campsites are $8. huts are much more and usually need a reservation.

Cameron Habib
    Spectator

@camhabib

Jake, thanks for the info. Just as I posted that, I found that site you linked to came to the same conclusion you did – probably not a good time to visit there.

Do you have any recommendations for a 2-3 day backpacking trip somewhere in NE? Greylock is on my list, but I'm still searching for others.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

have any friends in western CT? doing the AT from Jug End Rd in MA down south a few days is nice but you need to get picked up and it's a lot of driving.

i mostly do NH stuff so i tend to just wait until it warms up.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Just out on an overnight at a shelter near Bear Mountain and Sages Ravine on the CT/MA border on the Appalachian Trail. Good trail conditions and water a plenty. I would agree 100% with Jake D. — don't do a Presi Traverse until you have more overnight trips under your belt – and some hard days of hiking.

Anywhere in NY/CT/MA should be good. I was up on Mt. Monadnock a couple weeks ago and it was magnificent as always! So the Northern end of the New England National Scenic Trail — and a day hike up Monadnock may also be a good option!

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

where did you stay Seth? I did 40mi of CT section SOBO before my LT trip and stayed at Riga shelter and Sharon Mtn campsite.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools