Background: My wife and I, mid 30’s, are planning a getaway week (from our kids 3 & 5) for the first week of June (3rd – 10th).
We've booked cheap round-trip flights from Cleveland (900’ above sea level) to Las Vegas and will be renting a car.
Initially Yosemite, Death Valley and Mt. Whitney were on our list.
I’d like to poke around Death Valley in the early morning, either before or after Yosemite, but I’m not expecting to be there for the heat of the day.
We have friends who live in Yosemite Village that have offered to put us up when we’re not in the backcountry. Also, I scored permits to overnight on Whitney June 8/9th.
Initial itinerary:
T 6/3: Arrive in Vegas at 6PM, car camp in Death Valley
W 6/4: AM visit some of DV’s highlights. Drive to Tuolumne, hike to Cathedral Lakes (or beyond)
R 6/5: Hike over Cloud’s Rest, camp near junction with JMT
F 6/6: Half Dome early AM, descend Mist to the Valley
S 6/7: Free Day in Yosemite – (North Rim Dayhike?)
S 6/8: Drive to Portal, hike to Consulation Lake
M 6/9: Summit Whitney, descend to portal
T 6/10: Free Day (tour more of DV, or Vegas) Depart at 5 PM
Understanding that a delayed snow melt could throw a wrench into any plans I make; I’d like to plan this assuming that the high elevation snowpack will be manageable. I have permits in place for the TM to Valley hike, including Half Dome. Since putting together the initial itinerary, I've spent hours and hours on this site reading, and I feel like I’m in a place where I could use some input. A trustworthy source suggested that climbing from the portal to Whitney’s peak would be more grueling than enjoyable and its making me wonder. My wife and I have been training … and are hitting up the Smoky’s for Memorial Day … but we can’t simulate 10,000’. I’m up for a challenge, but not if it means I can barely put one foot in front of the other, and can’t soak up the view.
Questions:
Should I consider scrapping my Whitney permits, and save the summit for when I take my kids on the JMT in 2022? Then take a longer Yosemite backpacking trip (Red Peak Pass loop) or another overnight somewhere else in the Sierra?
Should I see how we handle the elevation at Half Dome and Tuolumne, and then decide on Whitney?
Should we just dayhike, and sleep comfy after sampling the Valley’s bars?
Alrighty then, maybe I scared all my help away with the long post, but I’m very interested in your advice! There are lots of experts here, so feel free to be opinionated, even if it’s just to point out that you think I’m a schmuck for trying to jam all this into one week.
Thank!

