Topic

Arc’teryx Squamish

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Arc’teryx Squamish

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Richard,
    so fabric weight would be the weight before coating and not the final weight after coating, wright ? That would make sense.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Woubeir,

Yup, fabric weight is before coating.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Well, that solves it.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

The Arc'teryx site mentions multiple adjustment points for the hood and not just one.

BTW, can someone test Gossamera 2013 and Luminara 2014 to see if those had or have also a different coating ? No real value for the Squamish, but just out of interest.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Paul,
    It's one cinch, but the cord runs through the bill passed the ears then to the back. Now that I've seen it I find it a very nice/effective adjustment system. It's not the same, but feels a bit like having cinch cords on the side, and on the back, but then with only one place to adjust. Honestly for me the fit of the hood is perfect.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Also, if anybody is looking for 2013 model, I saw some Medium and Large sizes on a (mild) sale here:
    http://www.moontrail.com/arcteryx-squamish-hoody-2013.php

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Interesting. Does it give enough protection for use in their hardshells ?

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Woubeir,

Not sure, but it could be. Two factors that might work against that are that the hood of their hardshells are often bigger, meaning you'd have to cinch it down significantly more, which might make it more useful to have the separate adjustment points/adjustment directions (up down, front back, neck). I know it says the Squamish hood is helmet compatible, but it's significantly smaller than the hood on my Alpha SL hardshell.
    Second, the material would be stiffer.

I'm not saying this is insurmountable at all, but this is what I would look at if I had to implement the same cord system in a hardshell.

In this windshirt I really like it. I have a Rab Alpine Jacket windshirt with a great hood. Similar to the Alpha SL hood. It has more adjustment points and might feel more secure when it gets really hardcore. But the hood on the Squamish feels, easier, and has a better, closer, collar in the front. I would have to test how well it holds up in bad conditions.

Don't know if this actually says much, but the cord goes somewhat like this:

squamish hood

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

I just asked because Arc'teryx offered a one-cordadjuster in some hoods on some of their hardshells (so called Speed Hood) for 1 or 2 years and then dropped that design.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

If you have ever seen those, was that design similar?

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Well, if I tried one, it's a long time ago (2007-2008) so my memory may be blurred. And designers at Dead Bird told me they are constantly evaluating and changing their hood designs so I even don't know how relevant my memories are. But I remember that that design was a little different, like this:

Arc'teryx Speed Hood

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

These jackets are designwise the same as in 2014, wright ? Now then, am I wrong in thinking that breathability and waterresistance should also be comparable (with variation) ? Or could there be some significant differance ?

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools