Topic

Rain Pants vs/ Windpants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Rain Pants vs/ Windpants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

I hope this is in the right forum.

What do folks think about bringing rain pants and windpants? Couldn’t I leave one?

Summer or late summer backpacking in the Sierras or colorado rockies… I have cheap campmor coated nylon full zip rain pants. And some heavy (15 oz) patagonia softshell tights/pants. Couldn’t I just leave the patagonia? Or conversely, leave the rain pants and the capilene long johns that I usually bring w/ them?

My raincoat is a marmot precip. Would a poncho change the equation? Can a poncho be trusted on windy ridgelines, I haven’t worn one since I was 12…

What do you all do?

Thanks!

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

For a number of years I have used nothing but REI Sahara pants. During the monsoon and early fall I will add a pair of DryDucks or Frogg Toggs. I also carry expedition weight long underwear for sleeping.

I use the Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp.

Add a cord lock on the hood.

A belt salvaged from a pair of REI Sahara pants is inserted in both rear tie outs. After putting the poncho on I reach around, unbuckle the belt and buckle it over the poncho in front. I think that this solves most of the traditional poncho problems. You can adjust the amount of air circulation by adjusting the location of the tie outs.

You still have access to shirt and pants pockets. Walk with your hands on the shoulder straps and they stay warm and dry.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

At a presentation at the REI Denver Flagship store earlier this month, Golite’s Coup said something like: “If you need to carry rain pants in Colorado, you’re paranoid”. O.K., so call me paranoid. If there is much rain in the forecast and I’m staying on trail, I’ll bring along a pair of Dri Ducks(3.7 oz.). If I’m going off trail or on trails that I know are not maintained, I’ll carry an old pair of Lowe Adrenaline pants (7.5 oz.). Like Richard, I mostly just wear REI sahara pants(12.8 oz.) and forget about the rain pants. I’ll also pack a pair of lightweight poly bottoms(4.5 oz.) for sleeping or for wearing under the REI pants if it gets too cold while walking.

david epley

@renman

…so I hike in convertible shorts with zip-on legs that I carry in my pack. I use the leggings on the very rare occasion that I want some wind protection, or more often, for bug protection. I find that if it’s raining and I’m hiking I have no issues with my legs getting rained upon. If I am expecting temperature variations that drop below 40, I’ll carry a lightweight pair of silk long john bottoms. I hike with them under the shorts in extreme cold weather or moderately cold weather with rain. They wick, dry extremely quickly, and keep my legs warm in camp.

I hike primarily on the east coast of the US.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools