Topic

Keyhole Canyon and Orderville Canyon in Zion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Keyhole Canyon and Orderville Canyon in Zion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Craig and I recently did some really fun canyoneering in Zion. We were meeting there for the annual BPL ultra run, but our running was not up to par for this one, so we needed something else to do….bingo.

Phone pics kind of suck. Many opportunities were missed due to phone snuggled up in ziplocs for the swims and waterfall jumps.

road

Keyhole

start

walk

keyhole

me

rap1

rappin

lonche

Orderville Canyon

gate

rap3

orderville

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Thanks for sharing. You managed some pretty nice pics anyway. Zion is such a interesting place.

Dave T

@davet

Full awesome. I did my first bit of intro canyoneering in Utah a couple years ago, and I think I was smiling the whole time (even when swimming for 300' in cold water). I sure wish we had more slot canyons in California! Thanks for sharing!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I've got some good pics to add to this, I'll try and get them up later.

While these were pretty straightforward/simple canyons, I'm super interested in more canyoneering-oriented adventures, more technical stuff. It's a great mix of hiking and climbing and getting down and dirty.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Here are more pics and a brief writeup of my own;

Sweeping the Garden: Zion Canyons.

No offense to the runners on this trip, but I was pretty happy to be exploring these canyons instead. I smell a new habit.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Nice. Put mystery and spry on the list next.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Mystery is definitely on the list though I don't know how easy it is to get a permit in June.

So far I'm also looking at
    A. linking Birch Hollow with Orderville
    B. Pine Creek
    C. Heaps sounds wild but is probably above my experience level unless I went with someone who's already done it. Though I've read up on it, I have no experience escaping water filled potholes.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The canyon permit deal has gotten a bit ridiculous. I've had luck in the last year using the week-in-advance lottery. Birch is a very nice canyon.

Heaps is one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been, the lower narrows especially. Potholes are certainly a concern, but running the ropes for the last rap sequence seems to get more people in trouble. The final perch is EXPOSED.

Once you get in Escalante and the Roost your mind will truly be blown.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Nice pics guys. Sounds like you had a blast.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Nice report and pics Adan (you too Craig, just read the report on your blog).

And no offense taken regarding doing this instead of the run. I had to admit I was a bit jealous of you guys!

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

Sweet. Slot canyons are a thing of beauty.
    Helmets wouldn't be a bad idea!

The shutdown last fall interfered with my being able to buy plane tickets ahead of time, so canceled my trip that included doing 5 canyons with a small group, but I can't wait to do Orderville top-down(maybe Birch Hollow with it), and either get with another group or do a couple of easy canyons solo.
    For canyoneering stuff, check out Bogley.com's forums if you aren't already a member there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools