Topic

Hiking with plantar’s wart

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hiking with plantar’s wart

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Any new treatments in the last 4 years for plantar warts, especially if one needs to put weight on it (job, exercise, hiking )? New insights after the 2010 thread (below)? I've been treating it with salicylic acid combined with a pumice after soaking the foot in the bathtub for 5-10 minutes, like a callous. It has gone down but still there. Can use a bathtub to soak as I haven't been real active recovering from unrelated dental surgery, but I'm going to be hiking with remnants still embedded in my forefoot (= no warm water soaks ). My summer plans are hiking during the week, then "re-carbohydrating" in whatever nearby city during the weekend – so will have a bath access at least one day a week.

Last thread I saw on the subject 2010:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/30321/index.html?skip_to_post=255979#255979

ed: dates, it

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

You just need to get it removed. My wife had one, it requires out patient surgery to completely remove it. The bad part is it will keep you off your feet for a few weeks while it heals.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I've been treating it with salicylic acid combined with a pumice…"

Using a pumice stone shaves off the dead tissues as well as the live ones, including the virus causing the wart. It tends to spread the virus around in an area that is being traumatized. Don't do that.

I have been successful using a salicylic acid "plaster" applied directly to the wart, and then Cutting away dead tissue with a Sharp scalpel. Clean the scalpel with alcohol after each use. Get a new one when it gets dull, about three trims (I bought a handle and a box of blades). It can take up to six months. I kept hiking the entire time.

The "plaster" looks like moleskin and is adhesive. I cut it to about 1/8" x 1/8" (small), apply it after a shower and "trim", and then cover that with a 1.5" square of duct tape (otherwise it will slide out of position). I shower with it in place, then after about 4 days, remove it, trim, and repeat.

A friend had an injection and was done in a day, running in a week.

YMMV ….

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Have a granddaughter age 14 who got infected by the virus that causes this "nasty little issue"(plantar warts), twice prior to two 10 day backpacking trips she went on…… probably her wearing flip-flops all the time at school cause her to pick up the infection. She went to a podiatrist who removed them with cryotherapy two week prior to each trip and she was good as "new". Currently she has had NO reoccurrence issues.

I personally have used the over the counter salicylic acid with scraping routine, but found it take a long time and your really never remove totally the viral cause.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I had an incredibly painful wart on the bottom of my foot once, and used an over-the-counter freezing treatment (I don't recall which one). This was a long time ago, but I think it fell off within a couple of days (a week, tops) and I was able to walk completely pain-free. I've heard that they're less effective for common warts, but for my plantar wart it was incredible.

I think I had been picking at it/scraping it beforehand, which may have helped freeze it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools