Topic

DeLorme announced today the inReach Explorer – It incorporates many navigation functions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) DeLorme announced today the inReach Explorer – It incorporates many navigation functions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

We own both the inReach and the inReach SE. They have proven very useful during our outings
    – On my solo trips to stay in contact with home, get current weather reports, etc.
    – On our outings with our kids, where my wife and I could stay in contact via the two inReach units when she stayed in base camp and I took the older children for a couple of days on cross-country trips.

Since we got the inReach SE we have always wondered why DeLorme is not incorporating some of the functionality of GPS receivers in the inReach SE. That would be ideal for us. We could download our routes, navigate to waypoints and wouldn't need to carry a GPS receiver any longer.

Today's announcement by DeLorme sounds really good to us. We can't wait to try that unit on our next bigger trip.

Manfred

Wim Depondt
    BPL Member

@wim_depondt

Locale: The low countries

In my quest to purchase a non-geostationary satellite communication device, Manfred's post shifted my interest from the Delorme Inreach SE towards the Delorme Explorer as it might render carrying a separate gps device obsolete.

However, I recently raised the question with Delorme whether the Explorer will support gpx-files. The answer: negative
    I think I will go for the Inreach SE and keep on carrying my faithful Garmin eTrex 20 when I am in need of gps support.

I thought this information might be of some value for forum members also interested in the Explorer.

Wim

Jonathan Shefftz
    BPL Member

@jshefftz1

Locale: Western Mass.

I had already placed my order when I read your post about the lack of gpx file support.
    I hoped that was incorrect, but as of now it is true, sigh…
    Actually, the truth is even more complicated, as summarized in my recent posts in this SE thread:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=75378&disable_pagination=1
    I hope future firmware updates fix much of this, especially since DeLorme is going to be paying for a huge amount of unreimbursed Iridium time as Explorer units start uploading all their track logs, waypoints, and routes…

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Does anyone know how the inReach Explorer's navigation functions work? The brochure images seem to show a simple GPS track on a blank screen. Can a topo map be loaded into the unit ahead of time? Or is a basic built-in topo map included as with most Garmin GPS units?

Jonathan Shefftz
    BPL Member

@jshefftz1

Load a topographical base map, hah!
    Can't even load waypoints and/or tracks/routes via gpx file. Instead, to transfer any navigational data beforehand to the device, you have to click on a website map (not off-line) to select individual trackpoints and/or waypoints (although you can edit the coordinates).
    See the other BPL thread for my latest feedback.
    I also wrote a review at Amazon for the Explorer.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Thanks, I read your posts there. I would be fine with limited route-making capabilities (i.e. having to use an online website to make routes ahead of time), but for it to be a truly useful 3-in-1 device, the navigation software needs to have an integrated topo map.

Could you use the program "GPS Babel" to get around the limited route-making capabilities? It can convert GPS files between many different formats.

Jonathan Shefftz
    BPL Member

@jshefftz1

Unfortunately all the navigational data storage is only on the device and in the cloud with no file import capability.
    And the only export capability is for track logs originally created on the device.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Maybe I'm missing something or not appreciating what Delorme has done, but the functionality added by the Explorer model seems like it should have been a free software upgrade for the InReach SE, not an $80 more expensive separate model. Both devices seem to have the GPS chip, but the Explorer just lets you use it more.

Perhaps I'm missing something. Have they actually changed the hardware at all?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Dan, I think there is more to it than what you see.

The basic inReach SE has no active map display. The Explorer does, and it takes some machine cycles behind that to keep it updating. That is probably partially done in firmware (not exactly hardware or software, more like a combination). The active map display requires a massive map database underlying it, which means more memory. So, it is not trivial.

–B.G.–

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

On a device like the inReach, the hardware is the cheap part. I suspect they may have added additional storage to keep the waypoints and track data on the unit but the additional software required to make the GPS chip work like a true GPS (GPS tracks, waypoints, routes, map display, directional compass, etc.)would be the expensive part of the Explorer. This all equates to a sizeable software development project that has to be paid for by the consumer.

The extra money for the Explorer was worth it for me (but I'm a GPS geek, so I "had to have it"!). I actually haven't taken a Garmin with me since I bought my Explorer. It would be nice if they added a bigger screen and Topo mapping but that's a "nice to have", not mandatory for navigation… I'm sure they will get their eventually.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Admittedly I haven't put the research into this to offer any sort of credible critique. I picked up a used SE for $180 recently so maybe there's also a bit of envy here. Previously I was hoping they would have updated the SE with some of this functionality, like they did to show coordinates, but now that they sell the Explorer it's pretty clear they won't.

I am jealous of the waypoint functionality. I like the navigational backup of being able to type in a waypoint and having it tell me that it's 2 miles west. This is what I sometimes carry my Garmin Geko for. However, waypoint functionality like this seems like it should be an easy update to the SE, since it knows your coordinates and it only takes 10 lines of code to calculate the direction and distance between 2 coordinates and display that.

The map screen is a bit more work, but it doesn't include a topo basemap, so it's just your route and waypoints on a blank canvas – similar to GPS's circa 2004. That's not a bad thing, just not something that seems like it's worth paying a lot for. If the InReach was an iPhone, the Explorer functionality would be a $0.99 app.

Nice SE vs. Explorer brochure:
    http://www.gpscity.ca/pdfs/DeLorme_inReach_Brochure_2.pdf

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

"However, waypoint functionality like this seems like it should be an easy update to the SE, since it knows your coordinates and it only takes 10 lines of code to calculate the direction and distance between 2 coordinates and display that…If the InReach was an iPhone, the Explorer functionality would be a $0.99 app"

Just because it is possibly easy for DeLorme to do doesn't mean it will be cheap (or free). Luckily, programmers don't get paid by the line for every line of code they write – they get paid for knowing *what* lines of code to write. If a few lines of code adds significant value, they can charge for that added value. It's interesting they give consumers the option.

I'm still waiting on the topo maps and won't buy an inReach Explorer before those are added. Hopefully this will happen before my PLB's battery dies in a couple years

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

My underlying complaint is that DeLorme seems to be trying to extract as much money as possible from their userbase while they have the powerful yet ephemeral position of being the only provider. I'm okay with them offering the Explorer since I'm free to not to buy it, but I suspect they would be better off in the long term by focusing on delivering a great experience for their customers.

All the technical specifications are the same for the SE and the Explorer. I'm pretty sure this is just a software/firmware difference, yet they are trying to get people to go out and re-buy hardware they already own to add firmware features? Why not offer this as an optional operating system upgrade to SE owners for some fee? For a while now they've been supporting the SE with nice firmware updates and new functionality, and then all of sudden the next version of the firmware is limited to owners who go out and re-buy the same device?

I don't really care about the Explorer functionality since I can achieve backup GPS navigation support by having my coordinates and a map, I just don't like to see DeLorme operating their business with such a cold focus on profit.

This situation builds on some of my frustrations with their service offerings in Canada. When you're not using the device you have a choice between paying them $5 a month for nothing, or cancelling and paying $30 to re-activate. The activation charges are a cash grab, and it's frustrating to have to pay this even for a currently active device to change the ownership information.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"However, waypoint functionality like this seems like it should be an easy update to the SE, since it knows your coordinates and it only takes 10 lines of code to calculate the direction and distance between 2 coordinates and display that."

Dan, I am guessing that you've never worked in the GPS industry.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"All the technical specifications are the same for the SE and the Explorer."

Absolutely false.

All you see are the public technical specifications.

"I just don't like to see DeLorme operating their business with such a cold focus on profit."

That is what makes the world of business go 'round.

–B.G.–

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

@Dan – You are definitely over simplifying.

The Explorer can store a pile of data that isn't stored on the SE model. Not only does Delorme have to add storage to do this but also have to write the code to support functionality that makes the unit act like your basic Garmin.

Things that you might not be thinking about… I can "upload" my old tracks to my Explorer (transfer old GPX files to the device). I really like this feature and it actually works really well on the tiny map screen. That would have required a significant upgrade to the storage that you get with the SE as there doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of tracks I can import as long as the tracks are under 500 pts (multiple 500 pt tracks are OK). You couldn't just add this to the SE as it wasn't built to handle the storage. Waypoints are the same. Delorme also has to cover the cost of the waypoints being transferred via the satellite network. So far this seems to be free to the consumer but Delorme must have to pay for that network usage.

You also have to consider the marketing guys would get involved in this (yup, always driven by the marketing guys). You can be pretty sure that adding GPS functionality to the Explorer has an impact on how many of their PN60 GPS's they sell. They aren't in the business to lose money, so you can be pretty sure that they have estimated the impact and added to the price of the Explorer to compensate.

As for the Canadian service plans, we are really lucky! We can do "pay as you go" which is an incredible value. I can sign up for the expedition plan and use it for a week and they only charge me for the week. I just suspend the service when I'm finished my trip and they prorate the plan accordingly. That's a great feature!

As for the suspend service, you are paying to keep your web map and all of your data online. It's still accessible while your device is suspended. Worth $5 to me.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Obviously we disagree on what's involved with adding this functionality. I believe that:

1) The coding required is routine (yes I can code in a few languages)
    2) No additional storage is required

As support for #1, low cost point and shoot camera's have been adding similar functionality over the past 5 years (GPS chip + 2D mapping with way points and tracking) and it typically arrives without any rise in the MSRP despite requiring a GPS chip which the InReach already had. For a GPS company like DeLorme this was easy stuff a decade ago. Also witness the proliferation of free or cheap GPS phone apps that do this. It's routine functionality.

As support for #2, waypoints and routes are incredibly small files. The 60 mile ski route I recently created has over 100 points on it and the file size is 2067 bytes. Not GB or MB or KB but bytes. Virtually nothing. Compared to what already exists on the InReach (firmware, graphics etc.) the storage required is insignificant. The Explorer doesn't even include a basemap which my point and shoot camera has despite tiny internal memory. The lack of a basemap strongly indicates to me that DeLorme didn't make any hardware changes since they could have added one for under $1 in parts.

"So what", you may say, "they can do whatever they want". Indeed they can. However, this is a good example of what ails the handheld GPS industry at large. GPS companies are being outpaced by cellphone and camera makers who aren't really trying to compete. DeLorme should be innovating rapidly in areas like user interface, screen quality, battery life and physical size, rather than tossing out a circa 1990's feature and charging heavily for it. Right now they can do this because they lack competition in the Satellite communications niche, but soon competition will arise (Spot presumably is working on something) and if they continue this kind of innovation they'll be leapfrogged in the satellite communication market in the same way they've been leapfrogged in the handheld GPS market.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Dan, since you have this all figured out, I recommend that you send a demand letter to Chip Noble at DeLorme. Point out how stupid DeLorme has been and how they are now doomed.

–B.G.–

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Yes, I'm afraid I'll just have to agree to disagree at this point but will also say that the only difference in many products we buy is the software. The car GPS market is a great example. All of the automotive GPS units have the hardware to do everything but you pay extra for the premium "goodies".

I'll also mention that I've been a developer and project manager for a pile of software development projects and being able to code a couple of languages doesn't get a commercial package out to consumers. It's an expensive business.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Hopefully DeLorme doesn't rest on their laurels like Spot. There's huge potential to take satellite communication to the next level.

Thanks for the discussion guys. Gotta run off to Carmanah for the weekend.

Jay Bruins
    BPL Member

@mountainjay

How long is MapShare's tracking history? How easy is it to export data from MapShare?

If I were to take an Explorer on a long trail like the PCT, it would be nice to know that the data is permanently saved somewhere so that I could access it all six months later and not worry about importing/exporting tracks in town.

(PS If anyone from DeLorme reads this forum, you really should create a few dummy MapShare accounts for people to test out your mapping software without a device. As it is, you're hiding access to the software behind an expensive device and a service contract. By the time a use has bought it, it's too late to back out. This is not a good way to run a business if you want rapid adoption.)

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Jay,

I just checked my account on the Delorme website. It has my complete tracking history – from summer 2012 until now – across three different devices (inReach, inReach SE, inReach Explorer).
    I can filter what I would like to export and then export the data as KML or GPX file.
    Importing allows for GPX, KML and KMZ files.

I hope that helps,

Manfred

Jay Bruins
    BPL Member

@mountainjay

Manfred,

That's a tremendous help. The fact that you've owned all three versions sounds like a glowing endorsement.

Do you know how many waypoints the device supports? (I couldn't find this on DeLorme's website, either.) Is it easy to swap what's loaded with nothing but your cell phone and their app? Do you think I could load HalfMile's maps a section at a time or is the interface too frustrating?

Thanks,
    J

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Like Manfred, I've gone through all three versions of the inReach and still have track points from 2012. It's actually one of the annoying features of Mapshare, it won't let you delete old tracks (only filter them). I'd like to get rid of some of the junk but can't do it.

As for uploading tracks, you can only upload approx 500 track points at a time. You can have multiple 500 point track segments loaded on the device and I've not read what the limit is for the max number of segments (I suspect it's fairly high).

One thing that's important to note is that there are two types of tracks recorded on the Inreach Explorer. The ones that get sent to Mapshare are very course (maximum 10 minute interval) and those are the ones that are permanently stored in Mapshare.

You also get the option to record a standard GPS track with a very dense track log but that is not sent to Mapshare, it remains on the device for viewing on the map screen (navigatioanl aid). You can plug the device into your computer and transfer the detailed track log to Mapshare but it will only happen via the USB connection (it won't transfer via satellite).

Waypoints captured on the Explorer do transfer to the Mapshare page via salellite, which is nice. Unfortunately, waypoints are more difficult to export from Mapshare and I have a bug report in with Delorme development team regarding this issue.

If you are interested in some of the tracking details, check out these links:

https://support.delorme.com/kb/articles/140-understanding-tracking-and-logging-with-an-inreach-explorer

https://support.delorme.com/kb/articles/162-how-to-send-and-log-track-points-video

Jay Bruins
    BPL Member

@mountainjay

Can you sync data off via Bluetooth (to a phone) or is a computer required?

DeLorme claims the Explorer gets 100hrs at 10min tracking. How close have either of you gotten to this? Does logging (on device) at 1 minute eat into this?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools