Topic

New Roclite 295s–anyone tried them yet?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Roclite 295s–anyone tried them yet?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Had a pair of Roclite 295s a few years ago, and really liked them. Was thinking of getting another pair, but heard Inov 8 made major changes to the shoe (including a new, too-vibrant-for-my-taste color scheme).

Just looked at Inov 8's site–looks like they've changed the color back to something close to the old 295s. Wondering if they've reversed the other "improvements" as well.

Anyone using the new (hopefully more like the old) 295s?

Link here:

http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-Roclite-295-Grey-Lime.html?L=27&A=Trail&G=Male

Jamie Derudder

@nicodimas

Locale: Arizona

I got some of these this week and used them on a local trail Camleback Mountain . I placed superfeet greens in them to remove the insole they came with.

From everything I read, they become more cushiony as time goes on..so besides this I loved them. My feet run wide, but my heel is normal so its really tough to find shoes that fit this. These work well.

I could ascend up the rocks on camelback extremely! well compared my last trail runners. I will admit I could feel the rocks a bit more, but they were very grippy, that may be on me making the choice to step there.

I plan on using the on Havisupai in about two weeks..Tell you how they go.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

Same color scheme, maybe you're thinking of the TrailRoc series? IIRC they made the shoe more narrow than the original 295s which was confirmed by a poster on here. They got a lot of comments/feedback from customers that wanted the old fit/last back, don't know if they ever did change it back. Runningwarehouse's shoefitr does show the old and new 295 with the same fit though.

My old 295s are about to bite the dust, been looking at either the Altra Lone Peaks or Olympus as a replacement.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I contacted inov-8 in February asking about planned updates to the Roclite 295. About 6 weeks passed before I received the following reply relayed from the shoe designer:

“We are updating the 295 for next season together with looking at updates on all our trail shoes for Autumn/Winter 2015. I have noted his comment and will take into account for any future development. Thanks.”

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Color scheme: Yeah, my mistake. Didn't look to closely last time I was looking at 295s–maybe I was looking at women's version or TrailRoc.

If the fit was snugger through heel and mid foot, I could prob. live with that (I'm wearing Trail Gloves now), but narrower in the toes box would be a problem, since the old 295s weren't any too generous there anyway.

All things being equal, I prefer shoes a little less dramatic in appearance than the Lone Peaks. But it might be worth ordering a pair and trying them on–there seems a lot there to like.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

The red Lone Peaks look like Ronald McDonald shoes, but Altra came out with a black version which is rather less in your face. They fit nothing like the Roclites – a much broader forefoot, and they are zero drop. The lugs are much smaller on the Lone Peaks than on the Roclites, good for packed trails but I have slipped and slid on muddy trails where the Roclites worked like champions. Hopefully inov-8 can get their act together and reintroduce the old Roclite 295. Alternatively I'd be just as happy if Altra would introduce a new model with more aggressive lugs…

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

I'd prefer zero drop and a generous toe box, but the Roclite sole is amazing–both for the lugs and the sticky rubber.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

The 295 is a bit narrow for me in the forefoot, hence looking at Altras. I agree with you on a more aggressive tread pattern on an Altra shoe though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools