Topic

Bivy-To zip or not to zip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bivy-To zip or not to zip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Looking at bivy sacks with zippers or without. As a first time bivy owner will I need a zip? I am a quilt convert and do not need a side zip to open to access my quilt. I have been eyeballing the Vapr Bivy.

Comments or suggestions?

Thanks

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Christopher,

It's just easier to adjust my quilt (or bag) to get comfortable w/a zipper. However, It's not so much of an issue if you use a quilt w/a footbox since you can slide into your quilt & then wiggle into the zipperless bivy. But you will still run into a little more "tangling" of the quilt w/o a zipper.

Of course, you save a little weight w/o a zipper.

Todd

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

>>>> As a first time bivy owner will I need a zip? I am a quilt convert and do not need a side zip to open to access my quilt.

Howdy FatTexan

Just got the Vapr Bivy w/o zip. I have the JRB NS quilt. Tried it indoors. Was easy to position the quilt by pushing it down into the bivy with my feet.

After getting everything comfy and zipping the net, I realized that it took a bit of effort to learn how to unzip the net and gain my escape. That plus it was getting toasty in there. My wife enjoyed observing the event. Because she was humored by it, she missed the pinatas opportunity : )

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Thanks Todd and George thats the kind if info I was looking for.

Chris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools