Topic

Fikkes Fishing/Trekking Poles.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Fikkes Fishing/Trekking Poles.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

I might have missed the discussion on this, but it sure looks like a great multi-use set up. I especially like the flick-lock for the poles as that is what I use. Thoughts?

Fikkes trekking/fishing poles:

http://www.fikkes.com/

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCMZz3hc4_A

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I tried one of these out at an Outdoor Retailer demo day, and it cast very well. The only thing I'd worry about is damaging the rod if I accidentally leaned too hard on the pole.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

It looks clever and probably works fine, but the weight savings have to be pretty minimal since the trekking pole only replaces a shortish mid section of the fly rod. So the weight savings must be less than an ounce. For that < ounce of savings it looks like it is a little more fiddly to switch between fishing and hiking modes, you are limited in your choice for both items, and if you break something you broke your trekking poles and you fly rod unless they sell individual parts.

Since I don't use trekking poles it wouldn't be an item that I'd even consider.

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

I haven't used this product nor do i know what the rest of you use for a fly rod. However, If you're using a mid grade or better fly rod I can't imagine this product being tolerable. Multi use is great but when the compromises needed to make things multi use are factored in they are often not worth it.

Darren Graff
    Spectator

@packfan

Locale: Sierra Nevadas

That is a way cool invention. I spin fish more than I fly fish. The aluminum spin version costs less. The eyes look very small to me. Maybe its not an issue though. I like that it's 7' long. The special attachment for securing the reel looks interesting. Maybe not needed though. They show in the video hiking with the reel on. I think that's just silly. How hard is it to put the reel in a pack or small pouch. I really like these but the price would keep me from owning one. I'm thinking MYOG. Bigger eyelets that are removable and ceramic coated. Maybe something where the rod is just stored inside the pole to protect it. I would have to give these a thumbs up for original design. Thanks for sharing the link. God Bless

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

So, do you have to buy 2 of these to hike, or hike with only one pole, or hike with mix matched poles? Is that first eyelet really doubling as a basket, to get banged along rocks and mud while you hike? This would also need to be a shelter pole for most people as well? Seems like an awful lot going on to convert this thing, and a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong. It certainly is creative, but I think I'd have to give it a pass.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools