Topic

Shepherds Crest/Mt Conness in Yosemite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Shepherds Crest/Mt Conness in Yosemite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Hey guys,
    I'm considering a route similar to what Bob G. suggested a few weeks back in the Yosemite Saddleback lake area. I came up with 2 options. Let me know whatcha think. I know nothing of this area except what I've googled, so I'm open to whatever info you have to share.

Option 1:
    Day 1- Arrive at Saddleback in the afternoon, camp at Steelhead lake.
    Day 2- Head west over the crest, pass Upper McCabe lake, then head South and camp at Roosevelt lake.
    Day 3-Head south, and summit Mt Conness via class 2 route on south side, then back down and camp at Young Lakes
    Day 4-Summit Ragged peak and head down dogwood trail to Tuolumne meadows. Hitch a ride back to Saddleback lake.

Option 2:
    Day 1- Arrive at Saddleback in the afternoon, camp at Steelhead lake.
    Day 2- Head west over the crest, pass Upper McCabe lake,then South and camp at Roosevelt lake.
    Day 3-Head south, and summit Mt Conness via class 2 route on south side, then back down and camp at Young Lakes
    Day 4-Head east back up the ridge, cross between big horn and alpine lakes back down to Saddleback. (class 2 I hope?)

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Unless you are VERY compfortable with high exposure and Class III+ climbing, go for the route back to the road. The east side of that crest between Youngs Lakes and Big Horn Lake is not steep, it's vertical.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Thanks Paul! Good to know. I'll head down to Via dog lake trail instead.

I'm wondering if it's too ambitious to summit Conness from Roosevelt lake and the camp at Young lakes in a single day….

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Day three should be no problem as long as you are in reasonably good shape. Many people climb technical routes on Conness from Roosevelt in a day – I've done it and it's OK.

As an alternative for day 4, consider following the Sierra High Route back to Saddlebag Lake. From Young Lakes, loop around the south side of Ragged towards Skelton Lakes then head up towards the Great Sierra Mine. Head over Mine Shaft Pass (class 2) and traverse back to Saddlebag Lake. I've done your loop many times and this is one of the best parts, in my opinion better than climbing Ragged especially since you will just have climbed Conness.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Andrew I am planning this loop for later this summer. I can barely find any info on Mine Shaft Pass. Do you have any pictures? If not what was your experience going over?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools