Topic

REI coupon/dividend – what ya got?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI coupon/dividend – what ya got?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I may be reaching gearhead stasis – but I could not find anything in the REI Outlet I really needed to use my 20% coupon on … and am struggling with finding something in the regular store to be honest. I kind of have my bases pretty well covered right now other than an underquilt and the ENO they carry is so poorly received I'm not inclined to use up a lot on it (if they had the synthetic I might pull the trigger on that one but the 300 clam down model, well…).

So what are folks picking up, if anything? Maybe I'll be inspired!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The only thing I found that was intriguing was Sierra Designs Cloud rain pants. 3.5 ounces for taped single-layer WTB pants. I'm not too concerned if the fabric doesn't quite live up to the claims; high-breathability isn't as important for the lower body and they can always be useful for dayhikes or as an in-camp overshell for insulation.

I wear a medium but the outlet only has L, XL and 2XL in mens, so I'm trying the large. We'll see.

$43 after the coupon (free shipping to an REI store if you live near one).

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

http://www.rei.com/product/873165/ultimate-survival-technologies-wetfire-stove-with-tinder-2013-closeout

I used the 20% off coupon, had it shipped to REI and took the $8.41 out of my dividend. I think I'll burn the regular 20% off coupon and remaining dividend on a pack of delicious Sea Bear salmon.

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

It's getting harder for me to find the things I really NEED at REI, but I finally went with the 12 meal Mountain House bucket and bought new Outdoor Research PL Sensor gloves. I believe I still have around $70 worth of a dividend. Gotta love that REI Visa.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I bought a set of Ortlieb panniers for my bike. Should work great for some longer bike tours and general commuting/errands.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

A new pair of Kahtoola MicroSpikes to replace my old worn out ill-fitting pair. After coupon and dividend I only had to fork out a buck.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

I picked up a Thermarest Xlite small. I might use it in the Sierras this summer if my klymit X reaches the end of life in the desert. I think it came out to about $60 when all was said and done.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

$180 with the 20% coupon, paid for with about half my dividend. It seems to work well with my hammock, and will be great on the ground. Not especially light, but especially comfortable, which is important to my rickety old bones. Don't tell my wife, eh?!?

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

I'm getting the nano pyramid shelter…probably in double size to see if it will fit well in one side of a 9×9 mid shelter with a little bit of jimmy rigging.

On the outlet side, I bought a osprey talon 44 for my wife to try out.

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

New Shoes.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

I got the Osprey Exos 58 pack with my 20% and a pair of Oboz Bridger boots with my wife's 20%.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I've been wanting to try a quilt, and needed something for early spring and late fall. Plan to give it a field test in a couple of weeks.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

Buff Original and a Bison Designs Nylon Belt. Nothing too impressive. Decided against the XLite that I had my heart set on earlier this year.

It's actually kind of nerve racking trying to decide what cheap items to get with my dividend. =P

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

+1 to minor buys and the insane amount of thought that goes into them.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

With my tiny dividend and REI birthday gift cards from my two YUPPIE daughters I MAY get a Thermarest Neo-Air X-Lite.

But the d@mn noise is a lot to put up with for a slightly lighter mattress than my Prolite. Maybe I'll just put it toward an Osprey EXOS 58.

Too bad REI doesn't sell strut tower bars and cold air intakes. ;o)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

got a new 27.5" mtn bike (DB Axis Pro) w/ the coupon and my dividend; reused the coupon a couple of times- pedals and a helmet

was going to buy a Garmin Fenix (w/ the dividend, coupon doesn't work on GPS stuff), but got a stress fracture in my heel so running is out for awhile- but I can bike

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

I just realized that one of the vendors my employer orders from carries Sierra Designs and some other good brands. So I probably won't buy anything big from REI anytime soon, except maybe another pair of NB MT10v2 shoes. All the other stuff I want is cottage industry. I should get another REI Flash 18 for when I talk my non-backpacking friends into joining me on a day hike.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Had a lot of dividend so a Westcomb Neoshell is on the way. Heard a lot about the material … we'll see.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

My boyfriend used both of our coupons and dividends towards crampons and a climbing helmet for his trip to Shasta… that he didn't invite me on. Jerk.

just kidding.

sort of.

Nathan Wernette
    Spectator

@werne1nm

Locale: Michigan

I bought an Exped UL7 LW mat with my wife's coupon

An REI Quarterdome 3 tent 2014

and a Gregory z65 on outlet (it was the deal of the day, used my 20 percent AND my dividend I bought the pack for 90 dollars shipped)

Not the lightest stuff in the world, but MUCH lighter than I had before!

REI quarter dome 3

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Snow Peak Titanium double-wall 450 mug.

Because I'm starting a new job and will need a touchstone that connects me to the trail.

James Volk
    BPL Member

@h2oboy007

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 on not really needing anything that REI carries, but still wanting to use the coupon.

I went ahead and got a NeoAir X-Lite. With the coupon, my dividend, and a gear return gift card we called it a push.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I ended up getting an Exped Schnozzle (to go with my Synmat UL7 I got a few months ago and don't want to get moisture inside) which people seem to like – if they'd had them I might have gone for a pillow pump instead given the multi use nature of that kit but alas they don't carry them (the schnozzle is sortof multiuse as it's a dry bag but I don't really need another bag…), and a new firestarter I've wanted for awhile.

Outlet I got a new cycling jersey which I needed. Still have some dividend leftover however so … not sure what else I'll get but I'll probably just hang on to it for the time being.

J Mag

@goprogator

With 2 hours left to go I grabbed a synmat ul 7 and a pack for my gf off of the outlet. I have a serious problem and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL! I mean… backpacking.

Phil – Can you let me know how you like the schnozzel when you get to use it? I am thinking it would be perfect for me because I really like something big under my arm since I sleep on my side. If I can get 3 uses out of it for 2 oz I would be really happy.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools