Topic

HMG Ultamid 2 BPWD custom inner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HMG Ultamid 2 BPWD custom inner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I had a custom BPWD inner made for the Ultamid 2, 73" X 97" X 59" height, 0.8oz mesh upgrade, 30D floor, weight is 21.6oz, inverted T door with YKK#5's. It looks pretty good, I pitched it in about 5 minutes before it got dark so I couldn't dial it in. I plan on doing an inverted V set up with a MYOG Locus Gear DPTE. Also, the walls of the inner can be shock corded to the HMG walls for more inner space. Only problem would be entrance exposure when raining, but you could just crawl in quick from the bottom, I'll have to make a MYOG cuben porch. 4 stakes needed, 2 lb 6oz double wall that could fit 3 people or a palace for 2, the thing is huge and tall. Time to get up to the Sierra!

angle
    front
    inside
    open
    closed

Travis Higdon
    Spectator

@life-goes-on

Locale: PNW

Thanks for taking time to share a few pics. It really looks great. As someone who has recently started using the UltaMid 2 I've been looking at a number of bug options. Right now I'm just using my MLD superlight bivy, but that's not a great option for 2 people.

As far as sizing goes, it looks like you went with a length and width that are about 10" short and a height about 5" short compared to the UltaMid 2 measurements. Did this actually translate into a 5" space all around when pitched to the ground? If so, do you think you could have gone any bigger with the net? I've only used this in snow and freezing rain, but I imagine that I'll be pitching this at least 4-6" off the ground for 3-season use. I wonder if that would allow for a larger net tent. I figured that any time I'd need the mid pitched tight to the ground (high winds, nasty blowing rain) the bug load would be pretty reduced anyway. Maybe that's just PNW thinking.

I'm not sure either how to handle the door. I actually considered reducing the length of the net tent even further on the door side to leave a bigger vestibule space between the "sleeping area" in the net tent and the wall of the mid. That might help keep rain out when entering and exiting. I don't know, we'll see. Please keep us updated on how you like it!

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I went with a 5" reduction all the way around, like the MLD inners, it seems perfect. I wouldn't make it any bigger, perhaps smaller in the front for exposure reasons, and it would be lighter. I usually bring an extra cuben tarp for hanging around under when raining so I'll just pitch it over to make a awning.

Travis Higdon
    Spectator

@life-goes-on

Locale: PNW

Is it possible to pitch this after the Ultamid is already pitched? That would be a nice option if you're making camp in the rain.

J Mag

@goprogator

That thing is awesome

I spent 20 years in Florida and that would be perfect for down there. Lots of mosquito free room and easy to pitch even on the beach or sandy soil.

I'm sure it's perfect just about anywhere actually. Good stuff.

victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

Locale: white mountains

Thanks KC for all your insight, I love the new combo. This is same bearpaws net tent (same dimensions) as KC with an additional 20" of cuben added to the front for rain protection.

new net tent combo

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Victor – Did you go with a cuben floor?

Thanks
    Derrick

victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

In the picture it might look like the floor is cuben but there is only about 1" of cuben under the zipper before it is sewn to the silnylon ( 30D-color is gray not black).

I am still a little concerned with Cuben as a floor material.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Thanks Victor.

I too am concerned about cuben floors. I am in the midst of designing an inner for my Ultamid 2 and have been struggling for months with the floor material choice.

Derrick

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Hi guys, these setups look really good.

How many loops are there, and where are they situated on the inside of the Ultamid?

Thanks

victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

There are only two attachment point at the top inside the mid, not useful with the inner. I plan on adding 3 additional loops on the inside of the mid, 1 in the middle of each side panel (not the door panel). These will mate up with the middle tie out loops already on the outside of the net tent. I will be ordering the 2.5" x 2.5" cuben Stick on Loop from zpacks.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Thanks Victor. That's what I thought. And I would do the same with the zpacks ad ons.

I wish HMG would make an inner in choice of different wall materials. Here in Scandinavia I would almost always prefer at least half solid walls on the innertent.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

When I bought my tent, I asked for attachment points. HMG sent 6 circular (2 inch) diameter stickons with tiny D rings. Will post picture if you like. They are a little neater and cleaner looking than the ZPacks. You may want to ask HMG.

Derrick

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Derrick, thanks, those sounds nice. You don't have to post a picture, I can only imagine that they are good looking coming from HMG themselves.

Now I should go and purchase a ultamid 4

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools