Topic

Crew 1 Auction

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Crew 1 Auction

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eric Vann
    Spectator

@ericvann

Hey everyone,

In addition to being Backpacking Light's Production Editor, I am also the Crew Adviser for a newly formed venture crew, Crew 1. BPL is the sponsoring organization for Crew 1, which was created to support its mission of promoting human-powered wilderness travel, and developing high adventure and lightweight backpacking skills within our youth. You can read more about Crew 1's purpose, vision, and BPL's role in it, by reviewing the Crew 1 bylaws here: crew1.org/bylaws.

This summer we will attempt a 100 mile, 2-week packrafting traverse in the Bob Marshall wilderness complex that includes an alpine, off-trail traverse of the China Wall as well as ridge hopping the Continental Divide at various locations, and paddling several rivers and creeks. I am really looking forward to this trip and I know our Scouts are too! We'll be publishing photos, videos, essays, and more at BPL after the trip.

In order to do this we need the support of the online backpacking and scouting community. To send our scouts on this sort of trip obviously requires money so we have organized a fundraiser to raise the necessary funds. We are based in Bozeman, MT so we reached out to a host of local businesses that offer services, such as, lodging and food as well as local and national outdoor retailers to see if they would donate their products for our auction. These businesses have been most gracious and have generously offered up their products. And boy, let me tell you there are some really cool stuff on there.

The auction went lives Sunday and features lots of the best outdoor gear available as well as tasty food and lodging options. The auction website is http://www.32auctions.com/crew1 and will be up until the 25th. I encourage you all to check it out and support youth in scouting.

Even if you cannot personally contribute or have no need of the items available, I'm sure you know someone who may be looking to get a BPL membership or perhaps buy a new tent all while supporting our trip.

Wishing you all the best,
    Eric

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Eric this sounds like a great program. Before I head over to check out the goods at the auction site I have two questions:

1. Due to its homophobic regulations and intolerance of atheist I have not been able to support boy scouts despite having gotten a lot out of the movement in my youth. Your bylaws refer to BSA Venturing membership and non-discrimination policies. Where can I find out more about these? Will your troop allow openly gay members or troop leaders? Would it permit members who are atheists or agnostics?

2. How does BPL contribute as a sponsoring organization? By participating in BPL and generating ad revenue am I now supporting BSA and its discriminatory policies?

Thanks

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Great fundraiser, great community support!
    I'm in for a Red Tractor Pizza which I drive up and get in late July… make sure that they hold a table for me!
    Good luck on the auction!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools