Topic

MYOG shoulder straps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG shoulder straps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Darren Graff
    Spectator

@packfan

Locale: Sierra Nevadas

Step 1
    Design
    I've never worn a pack with this style of shoulder straps. I just decided to make one and try it out. The design of the shoulder straps looks like the hardest part. I think I nailed it first try. We'll see. Hate to waist my 3D spacer mesh if they don't work well. Anyone have any tips on how to attach these to the back panel. I would like to make them adjustable.Strap1Strap2Strap3Strap4

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You might want to clarify what you mean. Most shoulder straps are adjustable for length by a sliding buckle in the bottom front. A very few are adjustable for the horizontal separation on a frame. If you get them set apart too widely for your shoulders, then they will be completely dependent on a sternum strap, just to keep them on your shoulders.

–B.G.–

Darren Graff
    Spectator

@packfan

These are the straps I'm trying to make. There is Velcro you can see at the bottom of the strap. There is also webbing that goes behind the strap higher up. Not sure how it attaches. Don't need a huge adjustment just maybe a inch up or down to dial in the fit. Not sure how they fit because there not attached to the pack like I've done before. They also look like they rely on the load lifters for fit. Worst case is I make um wrong. But there removeable so I can make another pair.PackThanks to Billy Goat for the pictures.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Great work, Darren! You are on a roll!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I'm making a guess here but I think those would be held in place by a MOLLE or PALS type system. A few rows of PALS could be sewn to the back panel and a webbing attachment device could be sewn to the strap. The strap could then be moved up or down the ladder of PALS to accommodate different user heights. An in depth set of photos of how MOLLE works can be found at the GORUCK site (not specific to your needs but details the MOLLE system nicely.

http://news.goruck.com/field-pockets/attaching-field-pockets-explained/

Darren Graff
    Spectator

@packfan

Thanks for comments and input. Did a small sketch in the car after looking at the goruck link you gave me Sam. This might work. Still needs refining but I have a start. Sam I was thinking you might have something else in mind especially for the back of the shoulder strap. Any help with methods for attaching this style of straps to the back panel so that they adjust would be great. God BlessPanelpanelStrapstrap

Benjamin Evison
    BPL Member

@benevision

Sorry I can't help work out the harness system on that pack, but I'd sure like to know who made it?
    Looks like very nice work…

Jon Holthaus
    BPL Member

@t25hatch

Darren Graff
    Spectator

@packfan

The shoulder straps and the rest of the pack are cut out and ready for dye. I should have used a hot knife. I have a soldering iorn that might work. I've got a lot of edges to seal up. Live and learn. God Bless.Straps

edvin mellergård
    BPL Member

@edvin

Locale: Gothenburg, Sweden

Soldering iron works good, i got a big station that I use. I grinded one tip down to look more like a flat screwdriver, use it on everything these days, especially webbing is great, the end turns out much nicer than if you first cut it and then seal it with a lighter. Thin fabric can be a bit harder than with a rotary cutter if the tip isnt warm enough, that's why i use the big station where i can controll the heat better.

Darren Graff
    Spectator

@packfan

Thanks edvin, going to try the soldering iorn on the next one. I'm also going to dye the fabric first and then cut. Less edges to unravel during the dyeing process. Dyeing is done. I like it. StrapsNow back to attaching the straps to the back panel so they are adjustable. Work in progress.

Darren Graff
    Spectator

@packfan

This is one way to do it. Materials used;
    3/8" grosgrain
    2" hook & loop
    One wrap Velcro ( sticks to itself)
    1 1/2" pieces for the grosgrain.
    8" pieces for the hook & loop.
    6" piece for the one wrap Velcro.
    The brown fabric represents the back panel.
    The white fabric represents the back of the shoulder strap.Strapweave the one wrap through the horizontal webbing.1One2TWO3THREEStrapAttach one wrap to loop.OneONEDoneDone attaching strap. Now to do it on the real strap. The MOLLE system paired with the hook & loop seems to do the trick. Thanks to all. God Bless.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools