Topic

Xtherm with a WB XLC?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Xtherm with a WB XLC?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

I have 1.7 DL WB XLC and Yeti UQ. The hammock ROCKS, but I have a couple minor issues with the quilt. Messing around with extra insulation-scraps of CCF, a cut-up Z-Lite- for where the quilt ends around me knees is a PITA; and its not great when sleeping on the ground or in a shelter. So I'm thinking about taking my 20% off coupon and dividend, and grabbing an Xtherm from REI.

What I'm wondering about is, how clammy is it likely to be (I've never noticed any dampness using pads just around me lower legs and under my head)? Too warm for summer use (say, 50-60*)? Loud? Will it stray put between the layers, or will it even fit? Uncomfortable fully inflated? What about inflating it only halfway? Too loud?

Any other insight, other th. the weight?

Thanks!

Ron Jameson
    BPL Member

@tigerpaws

Locale: Upstate SC

Look at the short NEMO pad Sierra Trading Post has for sale. Ground or hammock use. Ron

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Looks like a great pad and a good deal, but not for me because it's not as long or wide as I'm looking for, for in the hammock. Ought to be great n the ground, though!

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Hey Richard,

Are you looking at using the Xtherm simply for R-Value?

If so, why lug around all that weight (and the crazy price-tag) and instead go with the AMK Blanket? Same basic principle (and basically the same heat reflective fabric) only the AMK is ~3 ounces and $5 bucks, vs over a pound and almost 200 bucks.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Richard,

I quickly re-sold my partial-length UQ for the same reason. Went back to my trusty, full-length, JRB UQ. That's the best for body-mapping comfort, IMO – and pads rob you of some of that cradling, rendering the hammock less comfy.

I haven't found pads of any type comfy in a hammock, including my NEOAIR (I have the same pad you reference). A wide Neo in my Bridge hammock works best, though. While some hate the noise, it's never bothered me, and I move around. Thing is – when I "settle" into postiion, I fall asleep so there's nothing to hear. It's not that loud for me anyway.

Space blankets of any type won't do the job – you'll freeze in any kind of cooler weather.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools