Topic

Critical measurements for a custom-fit pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Critical measurements for a custom-fit pack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Thinking about a (long-term) project to make a pack as custom-fitted as possible, i.e., eliminate *unnecessary* adjustability by shaping the pack to fit just one person.

Looking through older article and posts here, as well as other sources, I'm trying to come up with parameters that vary from person to person, but could be measured and given a fixed length/shape for a custom fit.

Obviously, some adjustability in the harness will still be necessary to accommodate different loads, or to allow variations throughout the day to lessen fatigue, etc.

So far, the critical measurements/parameters I'm thinking about are:

Torso length
    Shoulder angle and width (affects angle of attachment of straps to pack bag in both plan and elevation, as well as space between straps and strap width).
    Chest circumference
    Waist and hip circumference
    Hip angle
    Contour of back

Any input?

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I 2nd your inclusion of "contour of back".

I have a curved (hunched?) back and my wife has a very straight back.

So her straight framed pack works fine for her. When I put it on the frame is pointing backwards and the load requires that I lean uncomfortably forward when hiking.

My pack is curved with a high cross bar. Works fine for me. When she wears it the cross bar hits the top of her head.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Torso length
    Probably #1

> Shoulder angle and width
    Limited. Obviously, don't garrot your neck.

> Chest circumference
    Adjustable sternum strap – minor.

> Waist and hip circumference
    Adjustable hip belt as usual.

> Hip angle
    > Contour of back
    Yes, probably #2. As OP has noticed with the difference between self and wife. How much your bum sticks out does affect the lumbar pad and hip belt adjustment.

Cheers

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Thanks, Daryl and Roger.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools