Topic

Purchasing trail runners (where to buy)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Purchasing trail runners (where to buy)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Locale: Southwest

I'm in the market for trail runners and I've stopped by REI and tried on a few (La Sportiva Wildcat and Raptors, Vasque, Brooks, Salomon) with little success on fit. I try to avoid REI if I can – where do you folks purchase your shoes? Bonus: any of you in the Bay Area have a place other than REI?

Ralph Wood
    BPL Member

@visualscapes

Locale: Northern CA

I like to buy my running gear from the guys at Arch Rival in Mill Valley. There's another store in, Corte Madera and in San Anselmo as well.

I have really wide feet and the Salomon XA Pro 3d ultra's are what I use for technical trail running and as my backpacking shoes.

Asics for beach and road running.

Arch Rival really helped me dial in my proper size and fit.

Bruce LaBelle
    BPL Member

@blabelle

Locale: Auburn, CA or on an adventure

The Bay Area (assuming your Bay Area location refers to the SF Bay Area not one of the others around the nation) has several stores that carry trail runners. Here are two that I'm familiar with and know they have a good selection: San Francisco Running Company in Marin has an large selection. Brett, the owner, has won the Quad Dipsea and has some national caliber ultra runners on his staff who are very knowledgeable about running gear. The store is near Tennessee Valley, so it's worth a trip to the area for a trail run or hike whether or not you stop by the store to look for shoes. If you're near the Peninsula, Zombie Runner in Palo Alto has a very large selection. It's especially worth a visit if you like high-quality coffee – they are one of the few running gear companies that has an in-store coffee bar.

Bruce

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

There's transports http://www.transportsrunswim.com/ in Berkeley/Oakland

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Big 5 Sporting Goods sales. Typically pay about $40-50 for some type of New Balance or Hitec (spelling?).

Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Bruce,

I am indeed referring to the SF Bay Area.

Thanks all for your suggestions – exactly what I was looking for!

jh
    Spectator

@woodpewee

Hi Dylan,

I have no idea where they are sold in the Bay Area, but I have noticed lots of good reviews of Altra shoes (such as the Lone Peak) on here. They seem to be well-suited to PCT-like conditions.

Edit: This is one location from Altra's website:
    http://community.sportsbasement.com/stores/bryant-street/

Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Jacob,

Sports Basement is a few blocks from my house :)

I'm off!

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Bruce, Zombierunner is a great store for seeing and handling a lot of different trail shoes in one place, and they make great coffee, but only one down side – they have very little inventory in terms of sizes. I've never once been able to try on the few shoes I picked out in my size – often they'll just have one model in my correct size. To keep cost/risk down they seem to carry little inventory.

So definitely worth a visit to see/handle the shoes, but call ahead to see if they have your size. Also generally great running advice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools