Topic

Summer (~45f) synthetic quilt. Any great options before I MYOG?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Summer (~45f) synthetic quilt. Any great options before I MYOG?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Locale: Charlotte, NC

Looking for ~1lb synthetic bag/quilt options that are good deals. Used offers ok too. I can make exactly what I want for about $100, so $150 would be my upper limit. Its worth $50 to click buy vs tie up a rainy day.

I have a 23oz MYOG down quilt and a 29oz synthetic so it really has to be under 1lb.

I'd obviously entertain down if it was in my price/weight target.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You might have better luck buying one if you posted in gear swap

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Yeah, I know, I'm more hoping for a new suggestion I'm unaware of, but would buy used for the right price.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I have a Lafuma 600 Extreme that is rated 45 degrees but comes in a 20 oz. I've have it for quite a while and hasn't been used much, ever. We just reach for our down bags first. If interested, make an offer. I have no idea how much I paid for it or what its worth.

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Thanks, Steve. Sadly a 20oz would leave me reaching for the 23oz down every time.

I'd love it if someone posted up a 13oz $120 Apex2.1 quilt… Save me the sewing.

An EE Prodigy 50 at 165 shipped is enticing, but almost $100 over materials shipped. I can't justify a $100 lazy tax.

josh jordan
    Spectator

@jjchgo

Rick check with Tim from Enlightend Equipment. I know last summer he sold a summer quilt that came in at under a pound if I remember correctly and right around $150. I absolutely love mine for summer trips.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

The summer quilt last year was me using up 3.3oz HL from the 2012 ProdigyX. In 2013 I switched to APEX for the Prodigy and the X so I sold off the 3.3 in summer quilts.

-Tim

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Rick,

I have what you are looking for.

Total weight – 14 oz, Apex 2.5 with M50 outer Nobul2 inner and a little M90 for strength on the foot area (made for keeping shoes on). There is even a little down in the 6 inch vertical draft tube that tucks under you.

It will fit someone up to 6 feet.
    I am 5' 11" and it is just slightly tight.

If you're 5' 10" or less, you would be good to go.

It is a slightly different design than a normal.
    The foot box is sewn with no insulation on the bottom and has a 3D footbox.
    It goes out to about 54" so there is plenty there to wrap around you.
    There is even a single layer extension to help it stay tucked in.It is also sewn back onto itself about 6" from the corner.
    It really helps as when you tuck you shoulders in them, they stay under.
    I just noticed a small burn mark in it.

I did something similar for a sub 10 ounce quilt and love my quilt.. Much warmer that a standard quilt, but all you have to do is take your shoulders out if it's to warm. Works great.

I made this for a friend as a quick nap system for thru hike speed attempts, but ended up with it.

I've used it about 5 times and it just got washed. I can fix the burn mark if you want but it doesn't effect anything.
    It's kind of melted to the apex.

Yours for $90 shipped.

William Lotman
    BPL Member

@wl1193

Locale: East Bay

Hi Aaron. Sent you a PM.

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Aaron,

Edit! Oh man, I was PM'ing two people and got confused. PorkPie set one aside for me, so I think I'll go with that one.

[delete
    That might be it! If William or someone else didn't beat me to the punch I'll take it. 2.5apex in 14oz sounds pretty good! I'll stuff an ounce of down in the footbox since I prefer to get OUT of my shoes for the night! haha. /delete]

(Next time, Tim. I'll buy one of your quilts someday!).

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Rick
    I did not post this for sale. It's for you and only you. But, if you don't want it, then it's up for grabs.

William Lotman
    BPL Member

@wl1193

Locale: East Bay

Hi Aaron. If you are going to sell send me an email at [email protected]. Not sure if my PM went to you.

Thanks

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

So things got a little twisted over on my end, but I'm going to take Porkpie's quilt that we were PM'ing about Sunday AM.

I blame the PM system! Really I should have checked names carefully against PM emails before posting, I sorted it out in a few minutes though.

Thank you Aaron and all who responded.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

SOLD TO WILLIAM

William,
    Got it. Sent you pics as well.

Rick,
    Thanks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools