Topic

Theoretical gear? I’ve never seen it. Calling all fabric experts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Theoretical gear? I’ve never seen it. Calling all fabric experts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I was recently thinking how awesome it would be if a company designed a fabric that was a hybrid of Polartec Powerdry High efficiency grid fleece, and Polartec Thermal pro (pile fleece).

The power dry would go on the inside, and the pile on the outside of the garment. This might (ok, likely would) screw with the wicking some, but it would be a rather efficiently warm kind of garment. Probably too warm for most conditions while being active.

Could this even be practically constructed from the same fibers/fabric, or would they have to weave in the pile from other fibers?

Crap, getting pulled into the bpl gear blackhole again…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Never fear Justin, on the other side of that "Black Hole of Gear is a whole new universe of wonderful gear and constant spending..

But I like your idea of combining the best of two synthetic pile/fleece fibers. I think Patagonia had already done something like this with a Retro-Fleece jacket.

DEFINITIONS:
    1. Pile-> thick, sheepfleece looking synthetic garment fiber insulation

2. Fleece-> short (0.5 cm or less) synthetic garment fiber insulation, often cut with a small grid pattern to create more dead air spaces

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools