Topic

Do you dry the interior of your Platypus? How?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do you dry the interior of your Platypus? How?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I carry Platypus 1L's. Seems I can never get them quite dry between trips. Is this important? Do you have a trick to do it?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Del, there was a thread on this awhile back (I'm too lazy to link back to it). The Idester suggested using a cheap aquarium pump and some tubing. I tried it, and it really works well.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

I just stick the handle off a wooden spoon in it to prop it open. Then I let it air dry.

Works for me

Ben

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Following a tip I read here once I just freeze mine btw uses. No need to dry them out, no mildew.

Elizabeth Fallin
    Spectator

@fallin

For the bladders, I loosely wad up a few paper towels to keep it open, and then I hang it up in the kitchen, opening side down.

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

I use a cheap aquarium pump and some tubing. The moving air quickly dries them.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

I freeze mine sometimes, and occasionally just put a little bleach in there with some water and shake, then rinse them out, blow them up, and let them stand upside down at an angle against the backsplash on my kitchen counter overnight with a paper towel under them.
    When they're seeing weekly use, they usually just get rinsed with filtered tap water and refilled.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

This tip came from a friend of mine and it works for me.

(1) I drain it with the opening down until water stops dripping out (say overnight).

(2) Then I put it in a sunny window with the top up and let the warmth of the sun dry it until the next trip.

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

drain well, place on dashboard while at work. boom, dry

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Kevin S.
    BPL Member

@kstephens

I just bend a wire hanger. I bend the wires together so that they will fit in the opening, then bend the entire hanger into an "L" shape, so that will stand upright.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Ive never worried about it.

Am I doing something wrong???

Glenn S

@glenn64

Locale: Snowhere, MN

C'mon Delmar, all those fancy shop tools and no air compressor? Blow dry 'em ;)

A J
    Spectator

@tahiti

Haven't dried my camelbak bladder in 8 years. Haven't died yet.

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Also read a tip on here several years back about freezing and have never looked back. This is especially useful if you use tubes.

When heading out just give a rinse with warm or lukewarm water, suck any thawed frost out of the tube (spit out in the sink), and give it a full fill with water.

When coming back home just empty any water still in there, suck any remaining water out of the tube, and toss in the freezer. Too easy.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

I jam a clean kitchen towel inside of it and let that sit overnight. Usually does the trick.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Thanks all! Many ways to solve this problem.

Glenn > C'mon Delmar, all those fancy shop tools and no air compressor? Blow dry 'em ;)

I could inflate them like inner tubes — Kapow!

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I prop mine open with a piece of bent coat hanger and then hang it upside down so it will fully drain and air dry.

Mike Megee
    BPL Member

@fx4hauler

I use this
    http://www.bluedesert.co.il/
    and put the tube in the freezer.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

After I've washed it I put a paper towel in it, blow it full of air, put a cap on it, and then shake it to get as much water on the paper towel as possible. I've found that it then air-dries in a day and I can put it away in my bin.

For the hose I take off the mouthpiece and step out on my deck and swing it around in the air to get as much water out of the tube and then hang it overnight to let it dry as well.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Similar to the aquarium pump idea, I already own an electric air pump designed for blowing up pool toys and such, I attach tubing to it and into the bladder.

In the past I've propped the bladder open best I could and placed it leaning against the front of a box fan.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

If you use drinkable alcohol (Everclear), then you can swish some of that around, drink the remnant, and the remaining alcohol will evaporate faster than water.

Just don't get into the habit of doing this too often! ;-)

Brian Crain
    Spectator

@brcrain

Locale: So Cal

"Ive never worried about it.

Am I doing something wrong???"

I never have either – if/when they get funky (which is every other year maybe) they get an overnight bleach treatment followed by an overnight baking soda treatment

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I cant' imagine plugging in an aquarium pump or other method to do this. You guys are handy. I hang mine upside down in my sunny kitchen window, and 24 hours later it's dry as a bone. Have done this for more than a decade with never one moldy/musty bladder. Easy peasy, right? I must be missing something.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

"For the hose I take off the mouthpiece and step out on my deck and swing it around in the air to get as much water out of the tube and then hang it overnight to let it dry as well."

That's the same method I use to dry my GFs pet cat after a bath.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools